4323 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Work related B#B#B#B#B#B#B#B#B#B#B#B# $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Alan

Sury there must be some sort of package for this sort of availability, or is it factored in on salary.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Scott Van Kalken
Esteemed Contributor

I'm much like Alan.

I don't get paid oncall, I can't take time in lieu.

I've been here for nearly 12 months.

The only exception is that working for a bunch of accountants, people DO complain if I turn up late.

Scott.
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Paula -- it's a relatively small environment (24 severs, 1 SAN) which I have gotten tuned to the point that it is pretty reliable. I rarely get calls which requier more than a few minutes to fix. There used to be 2 of us to split duties, but he left and hiring freezes hit before we got a replacement. So-- payback ins that I build things the way that I want them to be and (must be a coincidence, eh?) they don't break very often. My last shop (multi-billion dollar telco) did compensate for oncall availability and for hours worked above 50, but I averaged more than 70 hours/wk (record 116) and the extra money was *not* worth the personal cost.

The salary here is reasonably good, but no specific compensation for being "always available". I do get the toys (laptop, DSL, cell phone) to make the job easier.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Alan

There is a lot to be said for being the only one -

Isn't that a line from a film -

" There can be only one"

"My name is Conner McCloud of the clan McCloud and I was born on the shores of Glenfinnen in the year of our lord 1524 and I cannot die"

Back to the point:- one sysadmin and no one to mess it up - if only we could get rid of users.

Paula

BTW time here in UK 21:00 hrs and I'm still at work.

If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

I am on salary, normally work 40-45 hour weeks.

This means I get to have a stable income.

Stable income = no money if I get called.

I am always on call, pager on all the time.

Good thing is, it mostly all works and I get probably 2 or 3 calls per month.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Paula,

I feel my story is similar to Alan's. I have been on call for approximately 2 years. Even when I'm out of town...they call me. Fact is the last thing I pack is the laptop.
For pay...well everything over 40 hours is time and half my regular hrly rate.
Now for perks though...if I want to take some time to myself (and not deduct from vacation or sick time) Like those days you need a 2+ hour lunch or leave at noon on Friday...my boss says ok. Which unfortunately is not often enough.
And when I work weekend running jobs from home..he never questions the hours I put down...he always says "thanks for getting it done.."

So I guess .. either get the pay for it...or get other benefits for time spent. As long as it works for you...and you feel properly compensated.

Rgrds,
Rita
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Paula,

Our work week is of 40hr length. Ours is a 24/7/365.25 environment. They pay a pretty much constant rate for our off-hour activity.

1. We do have weekend change schedules (Saturday MN 12:00 - Sunday Morning 08:00).
We almost work every weekend on the production servers.

Our rate is 0.0 PH during the weekend activity.
Ofcourse, my pleasure is to receive a generic appreciation mail to "my work" but intended to everyone in the world with the standard template "team work".

2. We get into SEV1s during the daytime too and they run into nights and even sometimes days together where we stick the telephone hands to our ears with duct tape.

Our rate is the same 0.0 PH

3. We do have on-calls and we manage the SEV1s of all the environments. If we add up all these extra hours they will be months.

Our rate is the same 0.0 PH

4. Our management is very generous in giving the comp. off days in return to our extra hours. But we hardly find times where we won't be needed.

But people here do not really care about my punctualities. So, I live like a Unix admin.
And I do get sometime during the day to sneak into the forums.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Paula,

Geez, some people are more lucky than others.
Where I work now we get 'zip' for on-call as
they say it part of 'the package'. In saying
that we only get called 3-4 times a week. The
bad part is it is usually in the middle of the
night when we get called. I have worked in
other jobs where being called gives you time
in lieu and of course plenty of dollars. Our
times of the day are you turn up for work and
get to go home sometime around 5-6 on a good
day. After doing this for 12 years, I think it
might be time to do something else other than
getting called in the middle of the night and
waking the whole house...... That's the bad
part I guess.....

:^))
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi Paula.
Two cent from an under payed slave.
He, these chains and the iron collar are really a pain.....
For being on call there should be a fix pay of
10 GBP on a normal day, 30 GBP on a holiday.
Miles payed extra, working hrs payed +25% from 04:00 to 21:00, +100% the rest of the time.
How about that ?
;^)
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi,
My "package" is as follows
- Work week : 36 hours
- All those "extra" (in our branch normal) hours : all compensated in money (normal 100%) or time off
- The mere fact of being in a group that can be "on call" : 4 hours free or the money equivalent of that every month
- After-call intervention hours : 200%
- Planned intervention hours : 100% for interventions on weekdays, 150% for interventions on saturdays, 200% for interventions on sundays

Hope this helps
Tom
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?