4791 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

X Applications - Backspace - Erase

JayararamanSubramanian
Occasional Advisor

X Applications - Backspace - Erase

Hi
I recently migrated Applied Material's CELLworks based application (WINsrv, WINdev) from Alpha Processors ( Tru64) to Itanium ( HP ux 11.23).

The applications run on PCs running REflect X as the X term emulator.

The REflection X is configured to send DEL key when Backspace is typed.

In alpha the erase character is set to DEL. So that when BS is pressed it sends a DEL and erases the last character.

THis works fine on Xterm launched from REflection X as well as X windows based applicationed developed using CELLworks WINdev.

FIRST PROBLEM
==============

When I migrated to Itanium the first issue was that the termtype xterm could not show ^?(DEL) as the erase character in stty and tset. it is changed to ^_ eventhrough I was setting ^?. THen I changed the type to hpterm and also launched the hpterm from refelction X instead of xterm. Now it works on hpterm. Still does not work for xterm.

So I have a work-around.

1. Any suggestion on how to make DEL as erase on xterm terminal type on itanium hp ux 11.23?

SECOND PROBLEM
==============
The second ISSUE which is still un-resolved and critical is as follows:

The X windows application launched on the PCs running REflection x is not able to take the backspace or DEL and erase the last character. I have to move the cursor behind the character and then erase. ( this was working find on Alpha though).

The reflect X manager is set to send DEL when BS is pressed.

Any idea how the X windows application can be configured to take DEL as the erase character?
7 REPLIES 7
JayararamanSubramanian
Occasional Advisor

Re: X Applications - Backspace - Erase

Some screem shots to show the problems...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Any suggestion on how to make DEL as erase on xterm terminal type on HP-UX 11.23?

Why would you want that? A backspace should be a control-H. This allows me to either use the backspace or the control-H key, depending on where my fingers are.

That said, most terminal emulators have an option to send a DEL or control-H. You just have to change them and make sure stty has the same setting.

>The X windows application ...

I guess this is different than the *term?
I would assume there is something to set in the .Xdefaults file? Anything to copy from your Tru64?
JayararamanSubramanian
Occasional Advisor

THanks...

The reason the customer wants to retain the "BACKSPACE sends DELETE", is the same client PCs are used for other applications launched from Alpha. Thease applications work with DELETE as erase character. This is a production environment and there are 100+ PCs in the shop floor. So need to work at the system level to solve the problem.

On the Xdefaults... there are no setting in Alpha system.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Xterm has some options (X resources) of its
own which affect these things. "man xterm".
I have
XTerm*backarrowKey: false
in my .Xdefaults on a Mac (which I use to
talk to a VMS system), but I believe that
there are a couple more related ones.
JayararamanSubramanian
Occasional Advisor

Hi
First Issue (Xterm) is resolved.

I was able to fix the first Problem of Xterm.I created a .Xdefaults- with the following content.
*ttymode :erase ^?
*VT100.Translations : #override \
BackSpace : String (0x7f) \n\
Delete : string (0x7f)

Now the Xterm is working fine for Backspace and erases the last typed letter. The reflection X is set to send DEL for Backspace.

But the second problem still remains
The 3rd party apps ( X application) is still not responding to Backspace for erasing. I have to move the cursor behind the characater and erase.
I was able to temp. fix the issue with the following:-

xmodmap -e "keysym BackSpace = Delete" -e "keysym Delete = BackSpace"

This instantly made the application work for backspace and delete the last typed character.

But It is only a temp solution. As soon as I move the focus to another application on the window, this goes away and the bs stops working.

Any suggestions?

JayararamanSubramanian
Occasional Advisor

Partially solved. Will initiate another thread for Key board mapping.
Woo Kim Chye
Occasional Advisor

Hi Java,
May I know which version of CELLworks you are using? Did you able to get the CELLworks installed on 11iv2? I am trying to migrate the CELLworks from HP-UX 11i v1 to 11i v2. However, the installation script for CELLworks 6 that I am using does not seems to work on 11i v2 as 11iv2 compile the kernel in a different way compared to 11iv1.

Thanks.

Regards,
Casey