1752292 Members
4533 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X Installation

Simon Pamplin
Advisor

X Installation

I've just loaded the Xdevel-4.2.0 onto a box running SuSE Linux 8.1 The environment works perfectly for the root login but any new user I create doesn't appear to be able to use any X functionality (cannot open display etc). Have I missed something on the installation? I've run xauth and added the user name but cant think what else I've missed. Help would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

I dont think installation of Xdevel which is essentially for development will break the current X11.
Did you check /var/log/messages and /var/log/XFree*log. Can you post details from that.

HTH
Umapathy
Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
Simon Pamplin
Advisor

Okay - entering xhost localhost resolves the problem, trouble is cant remember how to make that a permanent setting rather than by use of the interactive xhost program.
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi

are you doing an su and then trying to start x.
if you normally login and then startx, it shouldnt give you any problem.

-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Simon Pamplin
Advisor

I'm booting the machine then logging in as root. X is running via rc scripts and root has no problems executing any X programs. If however I log off and back on as an other user I dont have permissions to use X. Basically I want to enable X for any user on the local machine.
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

hi Simon,
If root is able to do that, then its certainly a permission problem on other users part. Certainly the libraries are not broken since X is working fine. May be the installation of XDevel would have changed some permission bits.

Please post the lines of /var/log/messages and /var/log/XFree86*.log to understand where its going wrong.

HTH
Umapathy
Simon Pamplin
Advisor

You're right about permissions, finally sorted the perms with an xauth generate localhost/unix:0 then copying the .Xauthority file into the users home directory. Got a strange issue now though. If I start an RXVT session that has a '-e telnet host' it appears not to process the .Xdefaults, if I then start another RXVT session but not telneting to anything it correctly applies the .Xdefaults to the new session but also seems to do the same for the existing one that did do a telnet. This behaviour is only displayed for the non-root user.
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

confusing...
let me clear myself.
when you run rxvt -e telnet host, it doent run .Xdefaults for which machine host or the remote?
Taking your next sentence into account, I see a normal rxvt runs .Xdefaults on the host machine.

Here I am stumped. When you open 2 rxvt sessions, first with -e telnet host option and second, a plain one. Now when you open the second, the .Xdefaults is executed. Are you saying the first one also gets the .Xdefaults.

Correct me if I am wrong.

the man page

RESOURCES (available also as long-options)
Note: "rxvt --help" gives a list of all resources (long
options) compiled into your version. If compiled with
internal Xresources support (i.e. rxvt -h lists .Xde-
faults) then rxvt accepts application defaults set in XAP-
PLOADDIR/Rxvt (compile-time defined: usually
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt) and resources set in
~/.Xdefaults, or ~/.Xresources if ~/.Xdefaults does not
exist.

check whether your rxvt is compiled with internal resources support. If it is then, it may be due to the command line args which essentially invokes the telnet client instead of the $SHELL variable.

HTH
Umapathy
Simon Pamplin
Advisor

Glad to see its not just me thats confused over this one. Your clarification is correct, the first rxvt -e telnet does not execute the .Xdefaults on the host machine, executing a second rxvt on the host both invokes the .Xdefaults for the second rxvt session and also applies them to the first. The rxvt version is compiled with .Xdefaults. The only other bit of info is that this is not the experience of the root login where .Xdefaults is applied for both a -e telnet session and a local one. Must be a permission thing somewhere, for now my workaround is to do an rxvt -e exit followed by my rxvt -e telnet - seems to work!
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Check for the latest rxvt version. Get it compiled and try to use it. I dont know any rxvt mailing list. If you find one you can raise this issue there.

good luck

cheers
Umapathy