108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shawn Hamby
Occasional Contributor

X Server

Running Red Hat 7.3, KDE 3.0. Would like to run X Server and display the CDE from my HP-UX 10.20 boxes from my Red Hat computers. Have not had any success.

When I telnet to the HP-UX server, and export my display, I receive this error:

Xlib: Connection to "x server ip" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Shawn,

don't know that you will be able to bring CDE to RedHat from 10.20 without any Xserver application like Exceed.

you can bring graphics from 10.20 to RedHat.
The error message you get says that 10.20 is not allowing your redhat system. to enable it log on to 10.20 and type
#xhost +

then try to bring up some graphics application via redHat.

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Sachen is mostly right, but you should be able to run the CDE as your primary desktop on your Linux box. THe issue is that you can only run one Windows manager at a time on any given X-Server.

Now you've got a number of choices available here. One is that you kill off Gnome or KDE or any other Windows manager you are using, and execute your CDE stuff with a DISPLAY pointing to your linux box. This probably isn't the best way to go.

The other option is to use a VNC type product (comes with RH, just run 'vncserver'), and use That for the CDE. Under your X-Server on your Linux box, you can use 'vncviewer' to view your new session.

It will start up as something like 'localhost:1' (instead of :0). You'll be able to get the best of both worlds. I currently do this from my Windows machine, viewing my Linux machine (on the other side of the room) without having to move. Very handy.

If you need more details, feel free to ask.
One long-haired git at your service...
Jochen Heuer
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hello! There are other possibilities. You could just try to run

$ X :1 -query

This will start a new Xserver on another console which will query the HP system and provide you with the normal login prompt.

If you want to display your CDE session inside your KDE environment you have to use Xnest (not sure in which package it is in RedHat) like this:

$ Xnest -query

You can even specify the geometry of the window you want to display.

If you want to display only single applications you have to export the DISPLAY variable and make sure that you run

$ xhost +

on your Linux box before telnetting to the HP system.

Jochen
Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?