New Discussion юеВ

X config problem on 845 chpiset

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

X config problem on 845 chpiset

Hello,

I am facing a problem in getting Display for my Compaq Evo model. It is having 82845 Chipset motherboard & is having a builtin Display card. But when I checked in the Intel site, following is the solution - " If your version of Linux* does not support the Intel 845G/GL chipset, the VESA driver that comes with XFree86* can be used. To use the VESA driver, modify the XF86Config-4 file and change the driver line to: Driver "vesa". "

But this will not solve the problem, after making this change , with out rebooting it will work fine. But after rebooting again X server will not start.

Please help me in regarding this.

Thanks in Advance
Regards
Bindumadhava.V

9 REPLIES 9
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Re: X config problem on 845 chpiset

Hello,

Could you please post the following information :

=> result of lspci -v
=> File /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
=> File /var/log/XFree86.0.log

This will help the diagnostic.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kodjo,

Thanks for the reply.

Attached is the requested files . Please have a look into it and let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for your timely help in advance.
Regards
Bindumadhav.

Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

In the XF86Config-4 that you posted, I checked the Device section named "My Video Card" : the driver is still set to i740. As you may see in XFree86.0.log, the i740 driver does not detect your i845 chipset.

In the previous mail, you told that you tried set it to "vesa".

It means some startup program is changing the X11 configuration file back to the previous set of options. Generally, the "kudzu" program does that. Make sure that you cancel "kudzu" at startup.

Another thing : if you have both XF86Config and XF86Config-4, rename XF86Config into XF86Config.old.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kodjo

Thanks a lot,

It is working fine after disabling the Kudju service and also renaming the XF86Config file.

The one which i had posted is the original installation files and not the one which I had renamed the Dispaly to vesa.

Thanks a lot once again.

Regards
Bindumadhava.V
Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kodjo,

It was working fine after making nec. changes suggested.

Again problem is coming after some 2/3 reboots. Please look at the log attached.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Bindumadhav.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I cannot see anything wrong in the logs. Are you sure some RedHat script is not re-activating kudzu ?

I can suggest another thing to you :

cd /usr/share/hwdata
cp -p Cards Cards.orig

Edit the file "Cards", and search the "i845" keyword. Then replace "DRIVER i740" by "DRIVER vesa".

After that, re-enable "kudzu" and go with auto-detection : it should automatically configure "vesa" as the driver for your card.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Subrata Bal

Hi,

I am also having problem in getting the display for my PC. This PC have P$ TITAN 667 (GA-8GE667 Pro, Intel 845GE chipset) mother board and have a built in display card. I have gone through the messeges of V. Bindumadhava on similar problem and corresponding replies by Kodjo Aqbenu. And tried to modify the XF86Config-4 file changing the Driver "vesa".
But I still have problem.
I get the display for few seconds after booitng, but after that it disappears to give a black screen. I should mention the screen i am using is Sharp LL-T1530A
and have maximum resolution of 1024x768. I should also mention that i am using Redhat 7.2. i am attaching 1) the result of lspci -v
2) file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
3) file /var/log/XFree86.0.log

can any one please help me in this regard.

Thanking you in advance.

regards
Subrata
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

For Subrata -

Have you tried running Xconfigurator and have it probe your graphics?

Just curious.

Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Bindumadhava.V
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Finally I gave it up doing 7.2 on this model as it has problems in even reconginzing the builtin network on it.

So I upgraded it to 7.3. Network and Display are working very much fine. But again, one problem repeats in different fashion. i.e display works fine if you are not switching to virutal terminals (i.e ctrl+alt+F1 , Ctrl+Alt+F2....),Because moment you want to come back from virtual to X terminal (by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7..) .. it refuses and will not work...

So final solution to made it in working condtion is either

1. By putting additional AGP card on it and it working fine in all the ways....

or

2. If you are using Linux just to enjoy & not for any version compatible builds and support to customer's requirements...etc..Go for Red Hat 8.0 and this works smoothly with out any hiccups..

But if anyone finds the solution on 7.2 (display and Network ) or 7.3 (with display) please let me know...

Thanks & Regards
Bindumadhava.V