New Discussion юеВ

X-window start automatically and graphic resolution problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
bouazzaoui
Frequent Advisor

X-window start automatically and graphic resolution problem

Hi,
I'm a newbie in Linux environnement, and I installed Red HAT 9 on a Compaq Deskpro machine.
I configured my system to boot automatically into a graphic environnement(bad idea :( )
It worked normally, but I changed the resolution of my machine, wish is not supported by my monitor, so now I'm unable to see anything .
How can I go back to the last resolution? could you please give me the exact action I should take?

Many thanks for your help
regards,

10 REPLIES 10
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Re: X-window start automatically and graphic resolution problem

1. try ctrl+alt+f1 or ctrl+alt+f2 and see if you are able to get a terminal. login to the terminal. run init 3. and then run redhat-config-xfree86 and set your setting again. alternatively see if there is a backup in /etc/X11 of your original configuration file. just replace it back and give init 5.

2. if you are unable to get to the console prompt now, do a reboot. at the boot prompt, type linux 3 if u use lilo or edit the kernel argument (second line with e) and then append 3 if u use grub. once u get a prompt, follow steps detailed above.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
bouazzaoui
Frequent Advisor

the fastest answer I ever had! ;)

I tried to follow step 1: ctrl+Alt+F1... and I got a terminal console
I logon as root and run init 3 command
I got this:
- linuxlabtest login: Starting pcmcia [OK}
- Starting automount: No Mountpoints defined [OK]
I pressed enter twice and I got the login invite again.
after I logged again I ran redhat-config-xfree386 command, and system go back to a dark screen :(
after pressing ctrl+alt F1;ctrl+alt F2... I find the invite again with my command redhat-config-xfree386 in one of the terminal screen, but no ask for reconfiguring the system.
I do the startx command from another terminal and I got this:
(EE) MGA(0): [drm] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI

Could you help?
thank you

Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi, after going to shell as suggested Balaji, edit /etc/inittab (if you are new, just type mc, you'll run in a semi(graphic environment that will help you find this file, in /etc/ directory, edit the file on hitting F4). Change id:5: initdefault to id:3:initdefault. Then You'll be rebooting in non graphical mode up to the time you'll change this value back to 5.

Then try to run 'redhat-config-xfree86' command. If you get nowhere, tell us, we'll help you to set your monitor datas back to original values.

BTW, on mc, you see commdns in the bottom of your screen, each number 1, 2, etc., meaning F1 key, F2 key, and so on.

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
bouazzaoui
Frequent Advisor

Hello!
I'm feeling more confortable now :)

the last problem i got is running redhat-config-xfree386 command
it goes nowhere...
cursor is flickering but nothing happend

what should I do now?

Regards,
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Ok, so your config tool can't run even in basic X environment. So we need to set back values to the original ones. Do you remember what you've changed in your screen specifications ?

Whatesoever, it's in a file called XF86Config located in /etc/X11 directory.

Did you change monitor name ? Then we need to know what is your monitor.

Did you change resolution on you monitor ? Then go to 'screen' section of the file, where you should have 'modes' with resolutions available. Put only resolution you know that works (say "640x480" "800x600").

Save with F2. Exit with F10.

Reboot.

Let us know...

J
bouazzaoui
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
This is what I did and it runs perfetly
I remove all oher resolution and let only those I was sur it works
everthing comes back fine
thanks for you help guys
best regards
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Glad it works !

Frankly speacking, this is a stuff to improve, that redhat-config-xfree86 doesn't require X to work ! This tool is replacing another older one (Xconfigurator), and we hope to make it work in all situation (who needs to debug X if X works ?)

Linux is a moving world...

:]]

j
bouazzaoui
Frequent Advisor

Houston we got a problem...
when I ran Xwindows then I try to open a new terminal by using ctrl+Alt+F2, and when I tried to go back to GUI interface by using CTRL+ALT+F1 I can only see a black screen with some messages (apparently it's all the action I did on GUI) and the last message I can see is : (gnome-panel:1984): wnck-WARNING **:Property _NET_WM_NAME contained invalid UTF-8
can somebody explain how can i get back to my GUI ????
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Ctrl + Alt + F7 !

J