Operating System - Linux
1751687 Members
5461 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

X windows KDE network login via XDMCP broadcasts.

Richard Horton
Advisor

X windows KDE network login via XDMCP broadcasts.

I have installed redhat 7.1 (More times than I can remember haha). I have the X desktop setup on the main console session 7 like normal. However, I would like to offer this desktop on a XDMCP broadcast. Sometimes when I install redhat I can use my windows workstation Xwindows client and connect perfectly. Other times I install redhat I cannot. From an administrator standpoint I am frustrated. I have the GUI login setup on the main console. Now I want to offer it to my network clients via XDMCP broadcasts. Can someone point me in the right direction? What services should I make sure are running? Etc.
SCO veteran converting to HP UX
5 REPLIES 5
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Re: X windows KDE network login via XDMCP broadcasts.

Look for an XDMCP option in kdm.conf (I think). If memory serves, XDMCP is disabled by default.

Bernd Reize
Trusted Contributor

Hello Richard,

It may be an Xserver Problem.
On SuSE Linux your have to comment out the line
"DisplayManager.requestPort: 0" in the file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.
On RetHat, this file may be in another place.

This option, as far as I know, doesn't influence xdm (wich you don't use), but the XServer itself.
Panos Agoros
Advisor

Hello Richard,

XDMCP functionnality is also enabled via the /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess file.

I had similar troubles to yours a while ago with Red Hat 6.0 & from what I've learned afterwards this was due to the fact that XDMCP was broken in the specific release. I think it is working now though...

Another thing you should know, is that in order to be able to obtain graphical login from a Reflection/Excursion/whatever session, you must have reverse name resolution enabled in your linux box. Otherwise you'll get the system name in the chooser window, but once you select it you wont get the graphical login prompt & the connection attempt will timeout leading to an eventually relevant error message.

In order to debug/troubleshoot similar issues, dont forget to enable debugging info logging from your display manager configuration (for example /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf if you're using gdm ===> ps -aef|grep dm).

good luck

panos
"This is how the world works: all energy flows according to the wills of the great magnet... What a fool was I to defy him!" (Johnny Depp/Fear+Loathing In Las Vegas)
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Richard,

I, too was having problems with XDMCP on my local network, and after poking through /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc (Redhat 7.1) /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and a few others, I finally decided that was happening was that my server wasn't broadcasting correctly.

I changed the line in Xaccess to specifically add the address space from which I wished to allow queries (er go * CHOOSER 192.168.0.0/24 ), and voila! chooser finds the available hosts.

hth and all that.

Mark
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor

Hello, I have not been working too much with RH lately, but in Mandrake there is the file

/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

If it's also the case with RH, then look for the [Xdmcp] section of the file. If it reads "Xdmcp=disable", change it to "Xdmcp=enable" and restart kdm. You should be OK with this.

Good luck

Paulo Fessel
L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.