1745790 Members
4062 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Xming

nataraj.kn
Advisor

Xming

I am not able to connect LINUX machine via Windows XP.

I have installed Xming in Windows XP. with dependencies, then tried to connect LINUX machine through IP, it connected then I gave username & passwd. but It's not showing linux window only showing blank window.

please anybody help me.
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Xming

You probably connected successfully, but did not request to start any GUI program, so you got a blank display. If you want the full GUI desktop like on the local console, you'll need to know how to start the "desktop session" process.

For KDE the desktop session is started with "startkde", while GNOME desktop session is started with "gnome-session". There may be other choices too. When you're logging in from the local console, this command is run automatically.
(If the login dialog allows you to choose the session type, it's essentially allowing you to choose which of these commands to run.)

It would be easier to give more detailed advice if you would tell the name and version of your Linux distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Debian or something else?) and the name of the desktop environment you're using (KDE, Gnome or something else? If you don't know, we can then assume you're probably using the distribution's default configuration.)

The X Window System is designed so that you don't need to start the entire desktop: if you wish, you can start just a single program on the remote host and have its window appear on your screen.

MK
MK
nataraj.kn
Advisor

Re: Xming

I got the solution.