1752761 Members
5167 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Yet another grumble about this website

Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Yet another grumble about this website

Sorry, folks for abusing this place for my complaint instead of sending it to this site's maintainers directly and quietly.
But it's still such a nuisance trying to login to this realm in vain, over and over again.
I really had a bad conscience because I had submitted a query several days ago, which I hadn't been able to revisit to give feedback or assign points as I always had been refused login (repeatedly being served the same login form).
Now, at last I could login and immediately was served with faulty JavaScript code, all just sloppy syntax errors such as missing closing quotes.
I really would wish to disable JavaScript or use a non-JS-aware browser altogether (e.g. lynx), but this doesn't work.
But what even is worth is the amount of cookies this webserver wishes (enforces) to place.
I only checked to confirm each cookie in my browser's settings to keep track of them.
On average for each click I am sent three cookies, which is far too many in my opinion.
I know that HTTP being a stateless protocol makes it difficult for webdevelopers too keep a record of the clients' actions, but there are other alternatives than cookies.
In forms you can make use of the "hidden" attribute, or you can put state info in encrypted URL paths.
And if you have to rely on the clients accepting cookies, please keep them to a bearable minimum!
Madness, thy name is system administration