6006 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: accept: destination "p1206" non-existent

Dbourcier
Advisor

accept: destination "p1206" non-existent

Hello @,

We are facing a strange issue on our HPUX 11.23B. When we are trying to create some network printer using hppi, at the last step ( when the lpsched is restarted ), we are getting the following error :

The strange thing is that enable and disable commands are working properly, but both accept / reject command are not working.

We can even query the printer using lpstat :

sapdevdb50:(/var/spool/lp)(root)#enable p1206
printer "p1206" now enabled
sapdevdb50:(/var/spool/lp)(root)#accept p1206
sapdevdb50:(/var/spool/lp)(root)#
sapdevdb50:(/var/spool/lp)(root)#lpstat -i -t | grep p1206
device for p1206: /dev/null
p1206 not accepting requests since Dec 9 14:57 -
printer p1206 is idle. enabled since Dec 9 15:58
sapdevdb50:(/var/spool/lp)(root)#

We have the same thing on all printers declared on this system.

We are getting crazy since more than a day with that. We compare with another server we have ( same patch level, same OS version, same printer ) .. All the rights are identical and we are not getting the error.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
11 REPLIES 11
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

can you "ping p1206"? is it in /etc/hosts? if so, are the permissions on /etc/hosts 666?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>permissions on /etc/hosts 666

World write on /etc/hosts? Not a good idea.

644, world read, permissions would be better.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

patrick is correct, the permissions should be 644....no coffee yet today...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When some lp commands work and others don't, it usually means file/directory permission problems. Run swverify to check your spool system:

swverify PrinterMgmt

Is you get an error about unmounted filesystems (swverify looks in fstab), use this command:

swverify -x mount_all_filesystems=false PrinterMgmt

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dbourcier
Advisor

Hello guys,

First of all, thanks for all those answers.

I'll try to give more details ...

We have two systems, one for the development purposes and one for the production.

Production has been installed from the ignite of the development system.

The production environment is working fine. We are able to create printers, accept / reject, enable / disable ...

To answer the questions you asked :

- There is no connectivity problems, either than permission issue on /etc/hosts
- There is no issue with FS as, as I said the system is the same than the production environment, so I guess there is no need to "swverify" everything, anyway I did it, and no erros appear.

I did a "tusc -vf accept p1206" and here is the result ( last lines before it failed ) :

close(3) ..................................................................................................................... = 0
stat("/etc/lp/class/p1206", 0x7fffeb30) ...................................................................................... ERR#2 ENOENT
accept: write(2, "a c c e p t : ", 8) .............................................................................................. = 8
destinatwrite(2, "d e s t i n a t ", 8) .............................................................................................. = 8
iwrite(2, "i ", 1) ............................................................................................................ = 1
on "p120write(2, "o n " p 1 2 0 ", 8) .............................................................................................. = 8
6write(2, "6 ", 1) ............................................................................................................ = 1
" non-exwrite(2, "" n o n - e x ", 8) .............................................................................................. = 8
iwrite(2, "i ", 1) ............................................................................................................ = 1
stent
write(2, "s t e n t \n", 6) .................................................................................................. = 6
close(-1) .................................................................................................................... ERR#9 EBADF
exit(1) ...................................................................................................................... WIFEXITED(1)

It seems that it's failling when it check the class but the printers does not belong to any class .. And the class directory is empty, as the class directory on the production system. Rights are the same on both side ( PRD & DEV )

Thanks again for your help
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

stat("/etc/lp/class/p1206",

the ENOENT means the named file isn't present. apparently, somebody trashed your installation after the ignite image was made.

you can either copy /etc/lp back from the working box, or ignite the non-working one. it does make one wonder what else may have gotten clobbered as well, however.
Dbourcier
Advisor

Hi OldSchoolBoy :P,

Maybe then you'll be able to explain me the reason why it's trying to look for a class which are not in use in both environment.

This problem is really strange ... And if we need to reinstall our system using the ignite , then we can put HPUX in the same category than windows ;)

How can I know if class are supposed to be used / or if classes are used ?

Thanks & Regards
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

lets see, you ignited B from A. lp stuff on B works, lp stuff on A doesn't.

that implies that *somebody* trashed one or more *somethings* on A after the ignite was made. what those *somethings* are, I know not (and apparently *you* don't either)

one way of repairing the damage, since you don't know what all it corrupted would be ignite.

you should also be able to transfer all of the printer queues / definitions / files from the working box to the non-working one.

see the last post here:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1228855032884+28353475&threadId=1214945
Dbourcier
Advisor

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

We'll check that tomorrow and come back to this forum if the situation did not improved.

Regards