New Discussion юеВ

Re: access

SOLVED
Go to solution
Basavaraj
Advisor

access

Hi folks,

I've RH Linux 7.2 and Win 98 on the same hard disk. Is there a way I can access windows files from linux and vice versa? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Confidence pays
10 REPLIES 10
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Have a look at the mount command. You need to specify the options as per the type of filesystem on win98 and the partition its loaded on

Once you have done this , add the entry to /etc/fstab to mount upon boot

man mount

If you have the documentation its on there

Steve

take your time and think things through
Tom Ward_1
Honored Contributor

you can try something like this in your /etc/fstab file.

/dev/hdXX /mount_point vfat defaults 1 2

where /dev/hdXX is the Windows98 partition, and /mount_point is whatever point you're mounting the Windows partition on.

Good luck,
Tom
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi,
easiest way first is to do this.

mount /dev/ /mnt/win98.
the filesystem type will be autodetected and it will be mounted.

if not, check out what type of file system you are using for your windows partition. check if it appears in /proc/filesystems. if not, then you need to recompile your kernel to include support for that file system. and then mount.

hth
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

"smbmount" command mounts a SMB filesystem.
The kernel must support the smbfs filesystem.

Regards,
Sergejs.
Hans van Zijst
Advisor

Enough information about accessing Windows files in Linux by now, I guess :) The other way, accessing Linux files in Windows, is a bit more tricky. Windows isn't equipped with modules to read filesystems that weren't made in Redmond, so you'll need a piece of third-party software. I tried one years ago, but I forgot the name.

Kind regards,

Hans
l'apprenti sorcier
Basavaraj
Advisor

Thanks guys. I was able to access windows files from linux after mounting it. Now I'm stuck when I try to access linux files from windows. Any ideas?
Confidence pays
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

It's hard to imagine there will be very much stuff in Linux that you need to access from Windows. I generally just make sure that I use the dos partition for any files that are likely to be used both places. In fact on dual boot Linux/Windows XP systems where both operating systems have their proprietary filesystems, I create a 3rd partition of type vfat that is then accessible to both operating systems.

Bruce
Basavaraj
Advisor

Linux Guru(s)- can I use Samba for this?
Confidence pays
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi,
here you go. the ext2 driver for windows. i have used this and have accessed my linux files on window but dont use it on a regular basis. too critical data on my linux box to try anything funny. but it works.
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm
hth
-balaji

ps: how abt assigning points?
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.