Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding fire wire card to HP Netserver

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shar Hunter
Frequent Advisor

adding fire wire card to HP Netserver

I have an old HP Netserver 5/100 LH that used to have NT on it. I removed NT and installed Linux (SuSe).

I have successfully configured Samba.

Now I need some hard drive space. I have an PCI card that is a fire wire bus/port and an external 80 gig hard drive. So I istalled the card and plugged the drive into the card. The drive plugs into fire wire.

OK.

But now I do not have any idea how to configure Linux to see the fire wire card. And for that matter I do not know how to add the hard drive as a device.

Does anyone know how to have Linux find the fire wire card, and then also to find the external drive - and format it. So I can use the drive with Samba!

Thanks.
I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore.
1 REPLY
Magnus Andersson
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: adding fire wire card to HP Netserver

Look at this website and you'll find a lot of information about FireWire.

http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

/Magnus