1748200 Members
3880 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: adjusting SGA size in Oracle Databases

bob hollis
Frequent Advisor

It looks like 8.1.7 only lets you do levels 0,5, or 10 - with the default being 5

I'm trying it with 10

execute statspack.snap(i_snap_level=>10);
bob hollis
Frequent Advisor

I'm looking through a statspack level 10 report - I don't see anything that looks like a recommendation for changes to the SGA or parts of it. What am I missing?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Well, I switched to 9i about 2 years ago and never looked back (I did have to look forward and wait for patches at times! :-).

The 8i statspack / db engine might not have
this. Sorry, dunno and no time to figure that out just now (I would 'disassemble' spreport from 9i to figure out what tables are used for the pool estimates).

On 8i you may be stuck with the old back of the enveloppe, looking at hit rates, read rates, dirty buffer list sizes, checkpoint volume, and apply some voodoo guesses. Sorry.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

with 8.1.7.4, i prefer to run 15-30 minutes max on a statspack report without any parameters.

statspack.snap
wait for 15 minutes
statspack.snap

analyze.

regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
What about using Oracle Enterprise Manager Diagnostic Pack ?
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
bob hollis
Frequent Advisor

I don't have OEM. 8-(

Does anyone know of a white paper that can tell me how to take an 8.1.7 statpack report and calculate what my SGA SHOULD be - or at least give me a starting point. Or a script - even better 8-)

I've been all over metalink and haven't found anything, but I could be missing something.

Thanks!