New Discussion юеВ

alloc_pdc_pages

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geno Church_1
Valued Contributor

alloc_pdc_pages

Folks,

During a system boot, the system hangs out while performing the following alloc_pdc_pages (and displays this as well on the console). Does anyone know what exactly the system is doing during this time from the beginning to end of this process?

Regards,
Geno
4 REPLIES 4
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Re: alloc_pdc_pages

Hi Geno,

I faced similar problem sometime back - turned out that the system crashed only when my tape libary is connected to the faulty SCSI adapter.

I would recommend to disconnect all the external devices ,try booting up and take it from there.

Sundar.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Geno Church_1
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. I don't have an issue. I'm just saying in general. When a system boots it hangs out for a few minutes and then proceeds with the boot. What is going on during that time when it says alloc_pdc_pages is the question I'm trying to find the answer too. Sorry for the confusion;)

Geno
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor
Solution

Geno,

essentially alloc_pdc_pages() copies the PDC from NVRAM to RAM, mainly for performance reasons. But this task is not the one the takes so long... the alloc_pdc_pages() message is only the last one printed before IO discovery (similar to ioscan).

This ioscan performance should be significantly improved by the new multithreaded ioscan feature that will be available for 11.11 soon. Watch out for the MtIOscan11i bundle on software.hp.com.

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Geno Church_1
Valued Contributor

Thanks Dietmar, that's what I was looking for.

Geno