General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archive log dir is full ,how can I deal it ?

xiongye_2
Occasional Advisor

archive log dir is full ,how can I deal it ?

Hi: I executed a stored procedure last night,
today i find that the archive log is full, I use rm to del all trc file. Shutdown DB and turn the database into noarchive log mode,
but it is not the right method, Can you tell me the right one?
xysco
5 REPLIES
steven Burgess_2
Honored Contributor

Re: archive log dir is full ,how can I deal it ?

Hi

Have a look at the attached script which we run to clear our ora_archive logs

HTH

Steve
take your time and think things through
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Archive logs are worthless unless you are taking online backups. Otherwise, you should back the archivelogs up to tape for recoverability. Most DBA's try to keep least 1 day on disk, however this would depend on how many logs you are creating each day.

Brian
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

I would suggest having a script that copies the archive logs to tape and then deletes them. The frequency with which you do this will depend upon how many logs you go through per day. I have my script running every 2 hours. Even if you have the disk space I would still back them up to tape at least once per day - you will need them to recover your database, and the ones on disk may not be accessible.
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I use a script each night to move the archive logs to a non-oracle disk (that has lots of space). We generate about 5G of redo on the avg day. This is the pre-exec script for an omniback backup, which then backs the logs up to tape each night. The script removes old logs from that directory before moving the new ones in. the logs must be kept back to the last full hot or cold backup to be of use if the database needs recovery.
James George_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi

If you have a backup software,
configure an archive backup which will take the archives in to a tape and then delete the archive logs.

James
forum is for techies .....heaven is for those who are born again !!