108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: assertion failed????

SOLVED
Go to solution
doug mielke
Respected Contributor

assertion failed????

I've been getting the following error, on console, not dmesg or syslog, a couple of times a day for a couple of days:

assretion failed (start row >0 ) && (row count > 0) && (( start row + row count ) <= (pitlv -> itlv_row+1)); file itlv.c, line 4826

I've not searched for that .c file, since it's end of month crunch, but is this something that I need to worry about.
7 REPLIES 7
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

I'm probably not going to help much... but what are

- OS version
- Database vendor/OEM & ver (I assume it is a database thing as it is in databases catagory)

Look in /etc/syslog.conf, you may find that some messages go to say /var/adm/daemons ?

To me you need to track the source of the problem, or process/code before anyone can help

just my 0.02??? worth

Tim
-
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Doug:

Assertion failures are generated when a program has been written to include diagnostic (debugging) information. The assertion expression (message) is output alone with the file and the line number in the symbolic code at which the assert has been placed. The message appears only when the expression specified evaluates to false.

Hence, in this case, the symbolic file containing the assertion is 'itlv.c'. The assertion is made at line number 4826.

Assertion code is often put into place to announce errors that "shouldn't occur".

Regards!

...JRF...
doug mielke
Respected Contributor

JRF,
Thanks for removing this worry from my holiday weekend. I'd never heard of assertion error before, and since we recently has a SAN failure in production, our only significant event for ages, I was concerned this was coming from the SAN software.
I guess it still could be the result of corruption, but at least I can wait before I attack it.
I'll track down this code on Tuesday.
Thanks again.
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

just wanted to tell you not to bother looking for the file. i have no idea how to track down the message to a particular process. the only thing i can think of is grepping for the filename or the string between "assertion failed" and the comma in all the binaries that you can suspect (e.g., database daemons and related shared libraries).

as the file name listed in the assertion is from the source code, there is no use searching for the file itself unless you are running something for which you have the source code (and then you get into debugging the code - i dont think you want to do that).

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Just for an hint, i searched with google for "itlv" and some software come out.

I suggest you to start a similar research and see if you have any of the mentioned product installed.

Massimo
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

yes, google turned up something in oracle/d2k/forms, if that helps.

--
ranga
[i work for hpe]

Accept or Kudo

doug mielke
Respected Contributor

I found an itlv object file in an oracle patch directory. Our DBA is researching it. I'll also try the google search.
Thanks for all the help.