Operating System - HP-UX
1752571 Members
5228 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

attempting to install Oracle 8.0.5 on a K260, HP-UX 10.20

Fred Scharf

attempting to install Oracle 8.0.5 on a K260, HP-UX 10.20

We are attempting to install Oracle 8.0.5 on a K260 running HP-UX 10.20 and the system hangs.
We have defined the oracle environment, tried setting the TERM and HPTERM, and running the installer in character mode.
When we run the installer, nothing comes back.
Are there any specific patches that we need for the install?

I wish I could be more specific on the error messages, however the system is being shipped to us as I send this email, and I am trying to get a possible headstart on anything to look for.

I have looked through the forums but have not been able to see anything relating to the K260 and Oracle install. I have checked at Oracle's Metalink and they say to check for patches.

Any help would be great

Fred Scharf
7 REPLIES 7
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: attempting to install Oracle 8.0.5 on a K260, HP-UX 10.20

it's a guess as I don't know much about Oracle ... but (and check the Oracle install documentation) I think the latest vers of Oracle to install, require an Xserver to be running locally on the server ?

A K-class may not have a graphics head as default and consequently X would not be running.

I also suspect this is why the latest Xserver patches include Xvfb support to allow an Xserver to be run in virtual memory .......

see previous posts on xvfb or see if some else confirms the above or can sugest any other explanations ....
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred.
Try to get some info from Oracle Technet or Oracle metalink. Pls check the kernel parameters of your system first. You should find this in the release note or Install and Upgrade Guide for this database version.
I will attach some kernel params, that we use on an old I70 with Oracle 8.0.5 .
Then check for the appropriate patches.
Try to get the Install and Upgrade guide manual.
That will help you most.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

This sounds pretty fundamental. Have you followed Oracle's instructions for mounting the CD with pfs_mount?
Andreas D. Skjervold
Honored Contributor

Hi
The Oracle Installer that comes with 8.0.5 does not require an X-server when run in character mode.
versions 8.1.5 and up have the new Oracle Universal Installer that runs on Java and then you'll need X.

Have had a few problems installing Oracle on HP systems due to missing patches but newer experienced that the Installer hangs completely.

Andreas
Only by ignoring what everyone think is important, can you be aware of what everyone ignores!
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Fred,

If you try to mount your CDROM with normal mount command, your system will hang and you will get infinite message on the console:
? NFS server not responding still trying ?
? NFS server not responding still trying ?

What to do is to execute the following commands :

1. # nohup /usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &
2. # nohup /usr/sbin/pfsd &
3. # /usr/sbin/pfs_mount /SD_CDROM

Notice :
We assume that the /SD_CDROM is the directory under which you would like to mount the CDROM.

Good luck
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi again Fred,

I forgot to tell you that in order that you can have the propmt again , the only way to break thi shanging loop of NFS is to reboot you system.

Magdi
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

8.0.5 can be installed in character mode with "orainst".

Need to set TERM and ORACLE_TERM to vt100.

If you run a Xsession with CDE, TERM=hp or TERM=hpterm will not work in a dtterm upon install.

Open an hpterm and use TERM=hp or use dtterm and use TERM=vt100.

ORACLE_TERM needs to be vt100 in both cases I think.

Hope this helps
Volker