Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autofs - some mounts not using NFS 3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

autofs - some mounts not using NFS 3

We recently upgraded 2 SAP db servers from V-Class with HP-UX 11.0 to RP7410's with HP-UX 11.i.
We have 3 APP servers (N-Class with HP_UX 11.0) that automount filesystems on the db servers. For some reason, some of the mounts are nfs 2 ans some are nfs 3 - and these are NOT consistant across the APP servers:

Output of nfsstat -m

On one server:

/tmp_mnt/data/sap/IPR/ARCHIVE from iprdbf:/export/data/sap/IPR/ARCHIVE
Flags: vers=3,proto=udp,auth=unix,hard,intr,link,symlink,devs,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,retrans=5

On another:

/tmp_mnt/data/sap/IPR/ARCHIVE from iprdbf:/export/data/sap/IPR/ARCHIVE
Flags: vers=2,proto=udp,auth=unix,hard,intr,dynamic,devs,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,retrans=5

Why is this an issue? Well, Version 2 NFS does,'t support files greater than 2GB - version 3 does.

How do I force automount to use Version 3?

BTW rpcinfo -p shows that the boxes support NFS 3:

100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
6 REPLIES
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Re: autofs - some mounts not using NFS 3

Whoops - this shouldn't be under the "Databases" forum - sorry about that....
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Domenico_5
Respected Contributor

hi geof they have the same level of patch?

nfs can work in tcp or udp and depend on a patch .

regards
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Patches are the same on the APP servers - some of the mounts are nfs3 and some are nfs 2....
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

On your client find out if you're using the "old" automounter or the "new" automounter.
# ps -ef |grep auto
If it shows "/usr/sbin/automountd" in the process list then this is the "new" version of automounter (also called AutoFS). Using AutoFS will enable you to mount any type of filesystem which includes NFS Version 3. I think on 11.x you have the option of either start your automounter with the "old" or "new" version. Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf and settinf these vars would determine how are you going to start your automounter.
a) AUTOFS=0 and AUTOMOUNT=1 will start up the old automounter.
b) AUTOFS=1 and AUTOMOUNT=1 will start the new automounter.
The option b) is the one you should be using if you want to make automunter use version 3.

Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Geoff,

Try stating explicitly vers=3 in the third field of your /etc/auto_master file.
Third field is where you can set any/all mount options.

If you use a direct map to mount these, the NFS mount options go in the 2nd field.

Although it's supposed to default to highest *common* version, it can't hurt to force it.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info guys.

autofs=0 on the 11.0 boxes and 1 on the 11.i

I might try the "force" method in auto_master as well - either way I'll have to wait until out next outage...

Rgds...Geoff