Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basis_daioconfig: ioctl(ASYNC_CONFIG) failed: Not owner

SOLVED
Go to solution

Hi,

Anyone using Sybase 11.93 and HP-UX 11? I applied some patches for the OS and after that my ASE does not use async i/o anymore. It is now using standard unix i/o. Here's the error on the Sybase log:
kernel basis_daioconfig: ioctl(ASYNC_ADDSEG) failed: I/O error
kernel basis_daioconfig: Asynchronous I/O not available
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
3 REPLIES
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: basis_daioconfig: ioctl(ASYNC_CONFIG) failed: Not owner

You need to add the sybase group to the privledges required for locking memory. I guess you've recently loaded some kernel patches and one of the changes to was force the locking of shared memory to obey the same rules and non-shared memory.

have a read of the setprivgrp command. The sybase group will need to be given the MLOCK priviledge.
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Check owner/group permissions on /dev/async. They need to be set to the owner/group of your database. I.e., if sybase:sysdba owns your Sybase database then you need to

# chown sybase:sysdba /dev/async

Remember, wherever you go, there you are...

Thanks for the quick reply. Server is now using async i/o after running the setprivgrp command.