Operating System - HP-UX
1752291 Members
4662 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: best shell interface to work in SAP ??

kishore_11_1
Occasional Advisor

best shell interface to work in SAP ??

I am new to unix and i want to know what is the best shell interface to work in SAP
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Since you are working in an HP-UX environment, I'd use the standard, default HP-UX shell. This is a POSIX shell available as '/usr/bin/sh'. This shell is based on the Korn ('ksh') shell.

For reference, see the 'sh-posix(1)' manpages.

Regards!

...JRF...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Before all the linux zealots chime in with their votes for the bash shell, let me second Jim's vote for the posix shell.

Pete

Pete
Michael Sillers
Trusted Contributor

I'm putting in my vote for POSIX as well. It works for all of our needs.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

Let me add one more important point. The POSIX shell for non-root users is compiled with dynamic libraries that live in '/usr'. This reduces the memory footprint of the shell slightly since multiple instantiations can share objects.

A statically-linked version of this shell resides in '/sbin' and is the *only* shell the root account should declare as its default (in '/etc/passwd'). The value of this difference is seen when '/usr' isn't mounted' as for example, in single-user mode.

Other shells (e.g. '/usr/bin/ksh', '/usr/dt/bin/dtksh', '/usr/bin/csh', etc.) need dynamic library support.

While your SAP database will be running when '/usr' is mounted, there is no reason (IMO) to not use the default, standard Posix shell. After all, you will then be familiar with its features for all of HP-UX.

Regards!

...JRF...
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Bash. I like it because it gave me back !history editing like in csh, and I can still have vi command line editing like ksh (set -o vi). The only weakness in bash that I miss from ksh is the shortcuts for the "cd" command.
Like:
$>pwd
/d105a
$>cd a b
$> pwd
/d105b

In bash, I miss the above from ksh, other than that, I'm happier with bash.

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor

My vote is for .

/usr/bin/ksh nad /usr/bin/csh

as script of SAP ,need above two shell, as in my env we have set /usr/bin/csh.

check for SAP doc which is recommended one.
Sanjeev Singh