1752572 Members
4590 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /boot on RAID1 with elilo

Roshan Sequeira
Advisor

/boot on RAID1 with elilo

Anyone tried having Redhat AS2.1 boot from a RAID1 device with elilo? If this does work, is the procedure to set it up similar to the ones documented in the Boot+Root+Raid+LILO Mini-HOWTO and the software RAID HOWTO?

Also, does GRUB support /boot on a RAID1 device? Information on the web seems to suggest no. Is that correct?
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

The 'elilo' documentation states it takes most of the same flags as standard 'lilo' does, so I'd say "maybe".

Follow the instructions in that Boot+Root+Raid+LILO howto, and I'd assume it would work (given correct translations of paths etc.).

I've not tried this however, and haven't seen any testimonials of people who have.

Post back if you ge tit to work!
One long-haired git at your service...
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

The 'elilo' documentation states it takes most of the same flags as standard 'lilo' does, so I'd say "maybe".

Follow the instructions in that Boot+Root+Raid+LILO howto, and I'd assume it would work (given correct translations of paths etc.).

I've not tried this however, and haven't seen any testimonials of people who have.

Post back if you get it to work!
One long-haired git at your service...
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

Never tried elilo, but if it does everything lilo does it should work.
Also grub works on raid too, but i think the version included in RHAS2.1 is too old to be reliable in such a situation, and you are advised to use lilo instead. (however with a more modern distro grub should be no problem)
Roshan Sequeira
Advisor

Someone here tried this and it didn't seem to work. His thought was that RAID1 wouldnot work with /boot/efi since it is a VFAT partition. Does RAID1 work with VFAT?