1752758 Members
4939 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

c6364a auto loader

HP-UX User_1
Frequent Advisor

c6364a auto loader

we had a D210 server and it was upgraded to a D280 server. As you know when this is done the dev files changed. I had a auto loader (c6364a) connected to my D machine it worked fine. Now with the upgrade it only sees it as a tape drive and not an auto loader. It shows only one path and does not show the robotic arm used with Omniback. I need some help. do i need a patch or is there something else that has to be done to the machine. Only the machine was upgraded the disks and the data is still in tact.
6 REPLIES 6
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Re: c6364a auto loader

Hi,

have a look at the kernel if the spt (scsi pass through) driver is included.

Regards

Andrew
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

You'll probably see and 'spt' line in the /stand/system file. However, after the upgrade, I believe certain h/w paths will change. You'll probably just need to change the 'spt' line to point to the new h/w path (use ioscan -fk to find out what is).
Anthony deRito
Respected Contributor

So am I correct in saying that what you see when you run ioscan -nf is a target address for the tape drive and a target address for the robotic arm but you only see a device file for the tape drive and no device file for the robotic arm? If that is the case, then you can try rebuilding the psuedo device file for the robotic arm.

First check to see if you have a device file in /dev. If you do, remove it with rmsf. Make a note of the minor number.

Try to use the insf command first to bring back in the device file. Use:

insf -H [target_hardware_address_from_ioscan]
or
insf -e

Check to see if the file has been rebuilt. If not you can rebuild it using:

mknod [device_file_name_for_robotic_arm] c 143 0x1c0000

The 143 corresponds to the major number for the spt driver. Please verify that you need this driver for your tape drive. You can get a list of other major numbers using lsdev | more. The 0x1c0000 is the minor number of the target. Pick a unique minor number that corresponds tot hat target address.

I would like someone who have this type of hardware to confirm these actions before you proceed.

Hope this helps.

Tony
Chris Moore
Advisor

I believe the D class has HSC and EISA busses only, no HP-PB bus. If that's the case then spt isn't the driver you want.

What do you see in an ioscan? If you don't see the robot at all then you probably have a hardware problem - for some reason it's not answering when the SCSI bus is polled.
If you see it as "UNCLAIMED" then there's no driver for it in the kernel and you need to add one. For a D-class you'll want "schgr" and "sctl". If, as mentioned above, it is claimed in ioscan and a driver is assigned to it then you probably just need to recreate the device file.
Just because it's magic doesn't mean it's easy.
Brian M. Fisher
Honored Contributor

The driver required for a D-class AutoChanger is sctl NOT spt.

Document #A4151456 covers adding a AutoLoader to a D-class server at:
http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/

Brian
<*(((>< er
Perception IS Reality
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Depending on the type of SCSI card will determine the requirement of the sctl or spt driver. More than likely it is the sctl driver. Also need the schgr driver which is for the autochanger itself. The dev file for the picker is dependent on the instance of the SCSI card. Do the ioscan -f and look for the SCSI card. My guess is that it is using a c7xx driver, in which case use the sctl driver. Do a mknod for the picker based upon the instance number of the SCSI card from ioscan and the major number of the driver.
This will provide you with the major and minor numbers to do the mknod command. The autochanger will not be present (UNCLAIMED) in the ioscan until the schgr driver is included in the kernel. The document can be searched in the Knowledge Base and look for "Adding Tape Drives to 10.x and 11.x"