Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I make my ksh scripts into binary executables?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

can I make my ksh scripts into binary executables?

I have quite a good many scripts I've written and borrowed from others... is there a way to compile or convert or wrap them into a single non-editable binary executable? I'm sure I've seen this posted before but I couldn't find it anywhere.
All paths lead to destiny
11 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: can I make my ksh scripts into binary executables?

Sure, but first you have to RE-Write them in "perl" and then do the "perlcc" on them.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the process of learning perl....
is there an (ahem...) easy way of converting to perl...

I guess I have a lot of reading to do then. I also saw a program by Lone Star called Script-Lock (or was it Lock-Script) that was supposed to convert your scripts into binary executables.... I doubt I'll look into that due to cost... But I do intend to learn perl so I guess this gives me some motivation.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

It's not free but it will do the job. ShellLock from Cactus Software.

http://www.cactus.com/products/cactus/shell-lock.html
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

I agree - I've seen it before too but I'll be darned if I can find it now. I seem to remember replies from Olympians saying that it could be done with such and such a compiler.

I'll keep scanning . . .

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

This is not the one I was thinking of but it's a start:

I agree - I've seen it before too but I'll be darned if I can find it now. I seem to remember replies from Olympians saying that it could be done with such and such a compiler.

I'll still keep scanning . . .

Pete

Pete
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

right Cactus software... i found the link to that from lone star software... that's where I saw that... .

and if there were a compiler out there that could convert ksh scripts to binary... yahoo... i'll keep my fingers crossed.

In the meantime I think I'll go get a few books on perl. What's a good book to get? Any recomendations?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

Hohttp://gatekeep.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Shells/shc-2.4a/w about this:

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

Or should I say, How about this:

http://gatekeep.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Shells/shc-2.4a/

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And, as long as I'm beating this thing to death, here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xda86402f24d5d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

Pete

Pete
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

Great... thanks everyone. I love this forum... I get superb responses to my inquiries in under half an hour. :) Once again thank you. I'll let you guys know how it works out. I'll try it tomarrow