Operating System - Linux
1752788 Members
6185 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

can't install RH 5.2 on Netserver LC Plus (SCSI prob.)

Joe Giambalvo
Occasional Contributor

can't install RH 5.2 on Netserver LC Plus (SCSI prob.)

I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a HP Netserver LC Plus 5/133 that has an embedded SCSI controller (AIC-7770 Integrated SCSI Host Adapter).

I've been selecting the Adaptec 2740, 2840, 2940 driver as that seems to be the appropriate option. Using the Auto-Probe causes a "Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT" error which locks up the install process. If I "specify options" instead I get "Module options" and nothing I have typed in so far works (following the examples in the Installation Guide, C.2 SCSI parameters).

I'm open to any suggestions on what to specify under "module options" or what else I should be doing instead. Also, if a later version of RedHat Linux is known to work with this specific PC I'd like to know.
3 REPLIES 3
Shane Hjorth
Occasional Advisor

Re: can't install RH 5.2 on Netserver LC Plus (SCSI prob.)

The problem that you are experiencing is a known issue with the kernel.

Have you tried using the 'aic7xxx=no_probe' option??

Is there any specific reason for wanting to install Redhat 5.2?? Redhat 7.1 uses the 2.4 kernel which shouldn't have the kernel issue (newer aic7xxx driver), but there is a bloatware issue with the newer Redhat installs.

Just as a matter of interest, what kernel is the 5.2 install using??

FYI - New drivers for the card can be obtained from:
http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html
Joe Giambalvo
Occasional Contributor

>Is there any specific reason for wanting to >install Redhat 5.2??
I'm a Linux newbie and it's what I happen to have on hand.

>Redhat 7.1 uses the 2.4 kernel which >shouldn't have the kernel issue (newer >aic7xxx driver), but there is a bloatware >issue with the newer Redhat installs.
There are always pros and cons 8*(.

>Just as a matter of interest, what kernel is >the 5.2 install using??
kernel 2.0.36

>FYI - New drivers for the card can be >obtained from:
>http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.htmlThanks for the link, I found the driver. Now of course my problem is figuring out how to make that work with the install CD Rom 8*).
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello Joe,

All what Shane wrote is exact. I don't think a RedHat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) would work with AIC-7770 SCSI card.

Normally, if a specific I/O card is not fully supported by the standard Linux Kernel, the manufacturer should provide a driver disk that you can use during install process.
The way this driver disk works : boot normally on the media (cdrom or floppy) provided by RedHat. At the first prompt, type "linux dd", then insert the driver disk and type .
After that step, follow the normal installation process.

Currently, all Linux kernel 2.0.XXX based distributions are obsolete. If you can get a RedHat distro, I suggest 7.0 or 7.1. For SuSE, start at least with 7.0. For Mandrake, start with 7.2.

A minimum (but fully operational) version of all these distributions is shipped with magazines speaking about Linux. If you want a complete version, you can buy it for less something about USD 50 to 70.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...