Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't use "at" after "su - "

Jay D Koonz
Occasional Advisor

can't use "at" after "su - "

I can login directly as "root", type in "at" and it comes back with the nothing prompt so I can input what I want to run, works fine.
If I login as someone else, then "su - " over to root, and type in "at", I get "nothing specified" and it ends.
Huh ???
Ride Boldly Ride, but watch out for El Dorados
6 REPLIES
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Re: can't use "at" after "su - "

well, I suposse that you are login fron root with "su - new_user", Is this new_user is declarated in the at.allow file?

Looking for at.allow file in /var/spool/...

Rgds.
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

I see the same thing. If I login as me and not do the su and try it, I get the same thing. I don't see anything obvious in my stty -a output to cause this. It's not noted in the man page for at as such, but perhaps the multiple-commandline entry format only works for root?

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Check the following files:

/usr/lib/cron/at.allow List of allowed users
/usr/lib/cron/at.deny List of denied users
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Jay,

I just tried the same scenario and it works just fine. I'm wondering, as Paul mentioned, if you don't have something funny in your at.allow and/or your at.deny files. Could you post the contents of both?

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Jay,

Ok, another thought - I just noticed where you said you get "nothing specified". What happens if you just su (without the -) - maybe there's something in root's environment.

Pete

Pete
Jay D Koonz
Occasional Advisor

Boy do I feel stupid.
If I type in "at", I get the "Nothing Specified" message. But if I type in "at now", it works just fine.
Hey, it's a Friday and I just bought a new motorcycle so my brain hasn't returned to normal yet. Sorry for the bother.
Ride Boldly Ride, but watch out for El Dorados