5007 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cannot do a telnet from my pc

Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

cannot do a telnet from my pc

Hi all,

I can telnet from one rx6600 server (host01) running HP-UX 11.23 to another rx6600 server running HP-UX 11.23 (host02) also. But when I try to telnet from my PC, I can't telnet directly to host02 but I can telnet directly to host01. Please help.

Thanks!

ROMMEL
12 REPLIES 12
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Misa,

Most Probably there is some network related config on the host host02, some privacy in the settings and network access, like you can telnet to host02 only from the network that host01 belongs or something.

Please get in touch with the network administrator for more clarity on the network Securities.

Regards
sujit
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

thanks sujit. the two hosts are on the same network segment and there are no security configurations on that network.

ROMMEL
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check /var/adm/inetd.sec file on host02. Telnet service might have restricted with specific ip or network range.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

The inetd.sec file is still in default. No changes were made to this file.

ROMMEL
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

Addendum: I can't also do a ping from my PC to host02.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If ping is not working then we may need to look into network part..

PC and host02 are on the same network? If no, have you configured gateway on PC?

Are there any firewall in between the pc and host02?
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Rommel T. Misa_2
Frequent Advisor

PC and host02 are on the same network? >> Yes.

If no, have you configured gateway on PC?

Are there any firewall in between the pc and host02? >> No.

The problem is that the PCs in this network experience the same problem. They can ping/telnet host01 but can't do the same for host02. Verified all network-related files and paramters and all seems ok.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If it is in same network atleast we should be able to ping unless otherwise we have disabled ICMP protocal in router.

Are you able to ping host02 from host01?

Could you provide the netstat -in and netstat -i outputs from host02 and ipconfig output from pc?
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Rajasekhar Gundu
Honored Contributor

Even if they are on same network, there is somewhere the breakage occuring it seems.

Can you do a tracert & then you can find where your packets are getting dropped off.

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.