1748232 Members
3469 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cant resolve master server for NBU client

Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

cant resolve master server for NBU client

I have an issue where I just loaded Veritas NBU Admin client on my laptop.

It won't resolve my remote master server hostname. I tried to enter the IP address but it gives an error saying it must have the hostname. I tried the FQDN but it cant resolve that either.

I am on a private VPN to the client network where I can ssh to the boxes in question.

My remote Unix host uses SSH, however, I dont know how to configure that on the client, or if I even need to do that for NBU admin client.

I added that remote host's IP and short name to my local hosts file on my laptop. I think it is in the right place c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

any help is appreciated.
Unix, the other white meat.
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

What do you get when you try to resolve the hostname using nslookup?

nslookup
> host.domain.com

Can you resolve the hostname using ping?

ping host.domain.com

What is the exact error that you get when you specify the FQDN? Unable to resolve the host or unable to reach the host?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

When I am logged onto the client VPN, I can ping the master server from my laptop.

The HPUX host which is the master server allows ssh connections. I don't see that option when the nbu gui comes up. I am not sure if that is the issue.

The error it gives says it can't assign an IP address to the hostname provided.

Is there some configuration I need to do on the master server to allow my laptop to connect to it?
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

oh wait that was the wrong error. It can find the IP but it was something to do with authentication.

or with some definitions in the server list on the master server.

Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

well I also get the cant resolve the hostname to an IP address as well even after I added it to my local hosts file.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Try clearing the dns cache:

ipconfig /flushdns

If that does not work, try stopping the dnscache service

net stop dnscache

What do you get from the output of nslookup and ping? Is the host registered in DNS or just in your local hosts file?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor

I had loaded the wrong product originally.

I loaded the java nbu tool and it works now.

Sorry for my confusion.