1752777 Members
6629 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

centos 5.3 dl380 g3

elwin machado
Occasional Advisor

centos 5.3 dl380 g3

hi I'm running hp dl380 g3 have enabled ht in the bios but the os is not detecting the virtual procs. here my info of cat /proc/cpuinfo also here my kernal info

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 2784.956
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up cid xtpr
bogomips : 5569.91

i had to disable MPS table Mode to install centos, because if i have MPS table mode enable i get a kernel panic, so i dont know what to do. if i enable the MPS table Mode, i am not able to boot.

Please Help Me

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: centos 5.3 dl380 g3

hi,

what type of kernel are you using, check if your kernel have SMP support.

mikap
elwin machado
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Thanks, for replying,
i am using kernel linux-2.6.30.5, i also compile with smp support.

as you can see on the flags it has ht enable

as i said i have to disable MPS table mode to install/boot any distro including, debian, centos, fedora, ubuntu.

Thanks
Elwin Machado
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

OK - here's my info from a DL380 G3 running RH Enterprise ver 4. It's a two processor system with Hyperthreading turned on. As far as for enabling the MPS table mode - I'm not familiar with the term, so I may have tackled it long ago, but can't remember, and I've got nothing I can reboot currently to look in the BIOS settings and see if it's there. I do think that I remember problems with the system using one of the hard drive option modes for the disk drives (if I'm remembering correctly), and that it wouldn't come up correctly/consistently until I did.

I also noticed you don't have "apic" in your flags section, like my machines do. And that everything to do with your MPS table, so if you left it off, that's probably expected.

One more - there is a document I found on setting up VMWare esx server for ProLiant servers, which specifically addresses the MPS table entries for installing and booting, and references crashes regarding same. Since VMWare is a Linux OS, it might just be the ticket you need:

http://virtrix.blogspot.com/2006/07/hp-proliant-and-compaq-mps-table-bios.html

Also, it's interesting to note that they really seem to like "Windows 2000" as the OS type for 3 different OS variants. You might want to try it for Linux too, just to see.

Another suggestion - try RH4 instead of RH5, I know that one works, I'm running them.

OK, I just saw another article for setting vmware on RH using apic. They say to use "windows 2000" as the OS as well.
Here's the link:
http://vmtoday.com/2009/03/dl380-bios-configuration-for-vmware/

Good luck!

# uname -a
Linux xxxxx 2.6.9-78.0.13.ELhugemem #1 SMP

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 3190.354
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
bogomips : 6383.29

... 3 more entries just like the above... 2 per processor showing 4 total, showing that hyperthreading is working, and apic is in place.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There were lots of different CPUs used in the DL380 G3.

You cpuinfo output shows:

siblings : 1

I think that means that yours aren't capable of HyperThreading, although it's odd that you see the ht flag. Are you sure that HyperThreading was enabled correctly in the BIOS ?

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/en-US/Reference_Guide/s2-proc-cpuinfo.html

Cheers,

Rob
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

I think Rob's right. Notice in my posting that the cpu reports siblings:2, and cpu cores:1.

But Rob, I think maybe he has to turn it off to get Linux to boot, (not to load) and that's how he got us the /proc/cpuinfo output. I believe that's also the case because you'll notice that the "apic" flag is missing from his cpuinfo report.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Another note: As for the system being able to Hyperthread: on that note, I think it's a setting rather than an ability or the lack of for the 2.8Ghz processor lines. This is because I've got some of the 2.8's and they hyperthread nicely as well. I can't show cpuinfo on them because those are now just some cold spares I've got handy in case a production server goes down. Of course, that being said, I know that you could, at times, order different versions of even the 2.8Ghz processors, so you could be right.
elwin machado
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys, thanks for your help, i did turn off acpi to install linux, i did install centos 4.8, but when i boot with smp support i get a kernel panic, so i dont know what else to do

Thanks
Elwin
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Check out the two links I put in my first response. They speak directly about your problems.
elwin machado
Occasional Advisor

Okay, i am checking i will try to install centos again with that configuration

Thanks