Operating System - Microsoft
1748255 Members
3907 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: certain keys on my HP Pavilion ze5155 don't work

Evgenia

certain keys on my HP Pavilion ze5155 don't work

I have been experiencing this problem with my laptop more and more lately so I have ran a system recovery but the following keys - 1, q, a and z still don't work. What can be done?
2 REPLIES 2
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

E:

Someone will have to open the computer up and check the keyboard for loose cable connection or if something has fallen into the keyboard, to clean it out. Otherwise, you'll have to replace the keyboard.

If you go here:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/taskPageSelect.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion214326&pagetype=manual&docparent=manual
and open the Service Manual, it should tell you how to do it.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Appears to be a hardware failure of your keyboard. The keyboard is actually laid out in a grid with horizonatl and vertical wires. When you press a key you short two wires together or to ground and from this the controller determines the key you pushed. It appears that the sensor for one of the vertical wires (The one covering 1 q a z) is dead. Your option is replacing/repairing the builtin keyboard which will be very expensive or simply buying a cheap desktop ($5 or so) keyboard and connecting it in the back of the notebook where you should find a PS/2 mini-din connector. (If not mini-din then you can also get USB keyboards.) Do not plug/unplug the keyboard without shutting down first.

Ron