New Discussion юеВ

Re: change nmid

SOLVED
Go to solution
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

change nmid

Hi guy's,
Is it possible to change the nmid number from 1 to 0.

nmid are from lanscan.

regards
mB
There are three person in my team-Me ,myself and I.
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

It may be, but I think it'd be more trouble than it's really worth.
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi mB,

I agree with Patrick. You might be able to do it by changing the instance number, but why bother? Any particular problem you are trying to solve?

JP
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

Thanks JP.Basically I have a script coming from Finland and the NMID are hardcoded to 0.
My choice are 1) to change the script OR
2) change the nmid.

So now looking for easiest way to do that.

regards
mB

John Poff
Honored Contributor

I'd vote for changing the script. Just curious, but what does the script do?

JP
malay boy
Trusted Contributor

The script are used to generate the MC Service Guard configuration.

Thanks JP.

regards
mB
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I'm with JP. I'd change the script. Ideally the script SHOULD be written so that the NMID is pulled from a variable at the beginning of the script. That way you can change the one variable and the value is used throughout the script. Assuming anything when writing a script is dangerous. :) Assuming one script will work for all configurations is also somewhat dangerous because it'll never happen. ;)

Good luck.
John Poff
Honored Contributor

The only scripting I can think of needing lan information for MCSG is the cluster ascii file, and you can generate one of those automatically with 'cmquerycl', so I'm not sure what the script will do for you. Still, if you get the script and need help with it, just post it here and we'll all take a shot at helping you.

JP
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is what I noticed. In your lanscan ouput the "instance number" that got assigned does not have any relation to the "nmid" number. I have some server that has 0 as it's instance number but the nmid can be 1, 2 or 4 for example. One thing for sure is that these (the nmids) are assigned in sequence. I recently added a 2nd nw card to one of my Lclass and that card was assigned "2" as its nmid (the first card that was there was "1"). The script should not assumed 0 as the nmid as it can be extracted from lanscan when it run. Just some related observation. I do not know if it can be changed.
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering where you need the NMID for? Usually you only need the PPA and beginning with 10.30 this matches the card instance number.

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)