108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cksum / sum problem & question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robin Abecasis
Advisor

cksum / sum problem & question

I'm using HPUX 10.20, and i have come across a situation i was hoping that someone would be able to help me with.

sum -p and cksum are the same, they use the same algorithm and produce the same results.

My problem is with doing a cksum (or a sum -p) on a directory that exists on multiple machines. If i have say, dir1 on system1, and i rcp -rp the dirtectory to another machine, so that dir2 on system2 is an exact copy of dir1 on system1, and then do a cksum on those 2 directories... why do i get a different checksum result!?

Is there something i'm missing here? Does cksum not work on directories? Why should the checksum differ for an exact copy of the same directory on a different machine?

Here's hoping...

Cheers,
Robin
Wots going on 'ere then?
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: cksum / sum problem & question

Hi:

As directories (or the contents thereof) grow, addtional blocks of disk need to be allocated to hold the additional inode information. Once allocated, no shrinkage occurs. However, when a copy is made, only the required space is allocated. Often this is less than the "current" size, leading to a different checksum when examined.

...JRF...
Robin Abecasis
Advisor

Thanks for the prompt reply...

Can you think of any way that i can counteract this behaviour such that the checksum would be the same??

Cheers,
Robin
Wots going on 'ere then?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The only way to counteract this issue about directories is to build them the same way. On the source machine, create a new directory, then create the files and then copy them. Otherwise, sum is telling that they are not identical at the bit level which is correct, but from a functional level, they are identical.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jerry U
Advisor

i like to do a find and then an ls -l on each file and diff the two.

or ls -lR /top_of_tree and diff those two. they should be exactly the same. note that cp doesn't copy setuid bits. (just as is set on the oracle binary)