108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: computer freezes-up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

computer freezes-up

It seems like everyday I'll be going along and all of a sudden . The computer will just stop responding when I click. I have to shut it down and start all over. What can I do to make it stop freezing-up?
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick M├╝ller
Frequent Advisor

the most common reason for sudden lockups is defective RAM... try to replace your ram module or put out one after another if have more than one inside to find out which one is broken.

it could also be the cooling system... check with a system monitor if your system overheats.

which os do you have? does it happen randomly is it reproducable?
hth
Patrick
640K ought to be enough for anybody. -Bill Gates 1981
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick; I'm just getting started with a computer. I bought it used, so I did'nt get a manual to look stuff up. I don't know how to try the rams individually. Or anything about the cooling system. Were you asking if the problem could be reproduced on purpose?I can tell you that this is a laptop and I have noticed how very hot it can get sometimes. I can be sitting down with it on my lap, and I can feel it almost setting my legs on fire. I had wondered about that. I'm ordering a manual from H.P. and picking up a "how to" book from Barnes & Noble. Then maybe I can check out the things you mentioned. If you think you can explain how to in little baby steps. I can start with one at a time. But I don't want to irritate you.But in any case, I thank you for your input. Sugar
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Sugar:

Most laptops have vent holes situated such that if you place the laptop on a soft surface (such as a bed, carpeting, your clothing, etc.), the cooling will fail and the processor will overheat. The most common symptom of this condition is for the computer to lock up (the mouse pointer will not move and Ctrl/Alt/Delete has no effect). Try running the laptop on a hard, flat surface and see if it still locks up.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

Hello Roger; That would deffinently explain it. When ever my daughter or son or my-self uses this computer. We move it around from room to room. And it always either sits on our laps or on the bed. I don't think we have ever used it on a hard flat surface. You are probaly right! Thank you. I will get up right now and put it on a hard surface. You are our hero! Sug.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Sugar:

Please let us know the results. If things improve but don't go away completely, it may imply a fan problem (or some other cooling issue).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Sugar Gatch
Frequent Advisor

O.K. Roger. That's why I did'nt give you the whole 10 point's, cause it's gonna take a little trail and hopefully no error to find out if that is what the problem has been. I've got it on a hard surface now and my daughter just got home from school and I told her. My son will be home soon and I will tell him. And we will see what happen's. Keep an eye out for more messages and or points! Sug.
jeremy symes
Advisor
Solution

Hey Sugar, after awhile steps to keep your computer running well will become second nature, that is after awhile. When you first start off there is all sorts of lingo and jargon that can trip you up. When you run scandisk or defragmentation (defrag) you should try to have nothing running in the background. How do you have nothing running? 1st right click on your mouse all of the icons down the bottom right of your computer screen and shut them down. Then hold down the Ctrl button, and hold down the Alt button and then click the delete button. Then try shutting down most of the names that are listed. If your computer wants to shut down, let it restatert and then follow the above steps but dont close that program again. Then run scandisk through Start ->Programs -> Acessories ->System Tools. When this is finished run degrag through the same Start - Prog - Acces - System.
If you have any queries please email me on ubeauty@yahoo.com
Pedro Pinto_2
Advisor

About this issue it may not be a hardware issue. Remember that certain software installed can cause hang ups with the OS. To test it is a hardware issue simply enter BIOS setup and let unit there for some hours, if it hangs up then it is definitly a hardware issue, if not enter the operative system and run an application that requires a lot of effort to be run and see the results. It is normal that the unit heats up a bit if it is using certain processors, pentium4 not mobile, remember that a system fan of a notebook is a lot smaller then a desktop fan, thus this will cause the unit to overheat more easily. If you have a pentium4 processor remember to configure properly the speedstep of the unit has there it may be configured to be working always at full capacity. I don't want to speculate anymore so could you please give a brief explanation about the unit, Operative system used, Processor, system memory, graphic card, sound card, the whole deal. Reply when you can.

Best regards

Pedro Pinto