108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

computer's battery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

computer's battery

I ever read somewhere that any computer has a batter that maintain the BIOS. and this battery can only last 3-5 years, and gradually show the batter is running out by some kind of symptom.

My computer is HP OmniBook XE3, it is 3 and half year now. I feel it is geting slower and slower to start the computer. Do I need to change the battery? and WHat is the name of the battery? where I can get?

Thank you very much!

Cheng

please a copy of the answer to luo58@yahoo.com

16 REPLIES 16
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: computer's battery

Cheng,

The internal battery will not affect the speed at which you computer runs (or appears to run).

It is more likely to be the fact that the disk is getting full/fragmented. What is your hard disk utilisation?

You don't say what version of Windows you're using, but most of the later flavours have a disk cleanup utility (try typing "disk cleanup" into Help).

If you can't do that then I would suggest firstly that you delete as many unwanted files as possible. As well as the obvious places, check your temp folder - there's likely to be a load of stuff in there that you dont need. Delete you temporary Internet files as well.

When you've freed up as much disk space as possible, run a defrag on the disk. Note that whilst Windows comes with a defrag tool, a commercial defrag tool like Diskeeper will to a better job (e.g it will defrag the folders as well).

Memory will make a big impact on performance - what is the spec of your machine? If you're running XP, I would say you need at least 256Mb, 512 preferably (although it depends what you use your computer for).

The other thing to check is how much virtual memory you are using, check out http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314482

Regards,

Gary
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

Hi!

Thank you very much!

I think the problem was caused by external HD. I think my computer changed the boot disk to external Hard Disk? I have to put external HD when I start the computer. It did not work when I resume the default in BIOS.

My computer is 2X128MB RAM, I am using Win 2000. Yes! The hard disk is running out, only 200MB free. I am trying to remove the file to external HD.

I remember that I read somewhere about internal battery. I dont need to change even after 5 years? I think it is for remaining BIOS? right?

more suggestions? It is wise to buy an new computer?

Thank you very much!

Cheng

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

We would need more information to give you the best advice. Please post the manufacturer and model of your computer or the motherboard mfgr/model and CPU speed if it's 'home-made'. Thanks.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

These 2 days my computer always get problem when I switch power on. Whether the computer could not go through the start up(it didnt go through even I wait for half hour sometime), whether computer show like this:

Phonix Bios 4.0 Release 6.0, COpy right 1985-1999
HP OMnibook XE3 Bios version GC. M1.63
Video Bios Shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address EAC1
Mouse initialized
Fixed Disk: IBM-DJSA-220
ATA PI Device:MATSHITADVD-ROM
SR-8175
System configuration DATA updated
Error
Resource conflict - PCI on the motherboard Bus:00, Device:08, Function:00
Erro
Resource conflict - PCI on motherboard
Bus:00, Device:08, Function:01
Error
Resource conflict - PCI Network
COntroller on motherboard
Bus:00, Device:10, Function:00
Press to change boot order
press to resume,
F2 to setup

-----------
I actually did not figure out what is really right to do. I press resume, or setup, to re-slect the harddisk as boot, then it go throgh and come to desktop.

Once I got into desktop then there is no problem.

My computer is made in Taiwan, I believe. I bought in May of 2001.

Thank you very much!

Cheng
Thank you very much!
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

Here is the data of my computer:

HP OmniBook PC XE3 pentium III 750 HZ, hard disk 20GB
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
AT/AT compatible
261,616 KB RAM

HP OmniBook PC XE3-GC (model 1) F2326WT (product number)

Thanks!

Cheng
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

Here's a link to some useful (I hope) battery information:

http://tinyurl.com/57ee9

Other than that, I'd be inclined to reset the BIOS to defaults. Usually pressing F10 as soon as you see the HP logo will get you into the BIOS Setup program.

Also, consider installing this Intel processor 'fix':

http://tinyurl.com/5e93z

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Richard J. Anthony
Frequent Advisor

You raise several issues.
1) If you need to boot from a particular drive, just open the BIOS and reset it to point at the particular drive you want as boot drive.
2) Disk fragmentation is a potential cause of slowing the machine, but not nearly so much as the myth suggests. However, you are not going to be able to defrag your drive, unless you delete LOTS of files or are running a tennsy-tiny hard-drive. You report only 200MB free-space on the drive. Defrag requires at least 15% of the drive or it will interrupt the run and not complete.
3) The biggest problem and cause of slow-machine is registry clutter and fragmentation. These result from the way Windows "housekeeps" (or doesn't). There are free downloadable tools that will clean up at least part of your registry, and will at least tell you what is there and needs cleanup (they tell you about it as an incentive to download the non-free version of the tool -- do a search on google for "Registry Mechanic" and "RegistryRepair Pro", which are just two examples of these tools.
4) Continuing about the registry: Adware, spyware, and all sorts of other malware put entries in your registry. You need to get them out. Some of this junk records your keystrokes and sends the data to 'somewhere else' in cyberspace -- interrupting the processes you want running on your machine while it does this, and you perceive it as 'slowdown'. After you run various cleanup tools (I recommend AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy), and then clean your registry, you will see a real difference in your machine-speed.
5) With only 200MB free-space on your drive, where the heck is the machine putting its virtuality? The answer is that it is putting it on that 200MB -- and reading it back --many, many, many times during even the simplest operations. And with that little space left and that much activity the virtuality write/read DOES have problems with drive fragmentation.
6) You can use the data in your W2000 (Computer Management) MMC to see what this is actually doing to your operation and what else is going on. It ain't pretty. A bigger hard-drive won't really help that much, or for long. You have to make space on your present drive: get rid of a lot of files, defrag, and then MyComputer>(right click)>Properties>Advanced>Performance Options and set your optimization for Applications and make sure your virtual memory paging size is at least 1.5 times RAM and not more than 2.5 times RAM. Compare that requirement to the fact that you presently have only 200MB free-space on the hard-drive -- ie: your virtuality is doing lots of write/read, which is the slowest operation (except printing), and HAS to do it lots of times to do even the simplest task you tell it -- and it has to access and use the registry for every one of those efforts embedded in that task.
Dum vivimus vivamus
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Bravo Richard!

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Cheng Luo
Advisor

one computer technician suggest it is the hard disk broken? true?

Cheng
hyva