Operating System - HP-UX
1752780 Members
6413 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

copy raw oracle vols from prod to non-prod environment....

Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

copy raw oracle vols from prod to non-prod environment....

I'm looking to setup "performence test" type of env using db from prod env. The oracle data is located on one emc symm and the perf test env will be located on another symm... I'll be having a bcv of the prod data presented to my perf host where I'll import the vg and temporarily activate it.

What I'm looking to find are good methods to copy the "bcv" prod data to a new volume group's lvols. For the few filesystem I'll use fbackup piped to frecover... but that stills leaves me w/ needing to copy the raw volumes over.

Any suggestions on how I could copy the raw oracle data from one volume group's lvol to another? I'm not planning on dd'ing it...

If anyone's done something like this before, please post your experiences. I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas. (maybe using oracle native backup utils and named pipes?)

Thanks!
-denver
3 REPLIES 3
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Re: copy raw oracle vols from prod to non-prod environment....

Denver,

I did it once using omniback (Raw - Object Copying). But in fact my DB was just 300GB. So if you have a backups taken for your production system, just use that to clone a new DB. But you need similar or more size for each LV.

It took about 9 Hrs for backup and 7.25 Hrs for restore. I worked well.

Note: It was adviced that the DB should be shutdown for a good copy.

Also: Why don't you use srdf between arrays? If it is available?

Chan

Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Denver,

I did it once using omniback (Raw - Object Copying). But in fact my DB was just 300GB. So if you have a backups taken for your production system, just use that to clone a new DB. But you need similar or more size for each LV.

It took about 9 Hrs for backup and 7.25 Hrs for restore. It worked well.

Note: It was adviced that the DB should be shutdown for a good copy.

Also: Why don't you use srdf between arrays? If it is available?

Chan

Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

thanks for the response...

turns out my storage folks redesigned their plan and will add another bcv, sync/split and present to my host for a vgimport. (saves me a lot of work by not having to backup/restore)

-denver