1753427 Members
4833 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: cpio: out of phase

Chushia
Frequent Advisor

cpio: out of phase

I was doing a recovery test. On source Server A, I created a ignite make_tape_recovery tape (make_tape_recovery -I -v), and a cpio backup tape using "find $FILE -xdev -print | cpio -ocBdum > /dev/rmt/0m";

On target Server B which is bareboned, I boot it up by installing from make_tape_recovery tape, and then try to restore from the cpio backup:

cpio -ivcB < /dev/rmt/0m
out of phase
perhaps the option -c should not be used

if use cpio without c:
cpio -ivB < /dev/rmt/0m
out of phase
perhaps the option -c should be used

Tried with -R and it took long and I believe it will fail at the end. Canceled it.

The tape was good. I tried cpio on source machine A and it worked (use t to list files).

On source Server A, the tape drive was Ultrium 230, and on target Server B, it was Ultrium 460. Could this be the reason?

Or could it be the make_tape_recovery, that something was missing for cpio on target serverB ? I should try with a "-x inc_entire=vg00". The ignite version is C.73.148.

Thanks,
Chushia
2 REPLIES 2
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

As pax can read/write both tar and cpio, try using pax to read the cpio archive.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

This isn't showing any error any more when I used a tape that's done by

make_tape_recovery inc_entire=vg00 -I –v

Apparently something used for the driver was missing in the previous ignite tape that's done by

make_tape_recovery -I -v

Chushia