Re: cpu horsepower for database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Martha,

There is no upper limit to the amount of cpus you can have in a server, other than the capacity of the server itself.

Your dba is obviously the victim of a good joke that he apparently took seriously.

Harry,

I'm glad, too, that you weren't drinking your coffee too.

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Martha,

If I were you I would starting looking for an Apple II running a 1MHz 6502 8-bit processor; the database performance should then be absolutely phoenomenal. After you find the Apple II, I would then give it to your DBA on his way out the door. His was truly a "state of the art stupid" remark.

The only thing I can even remotely correlate this to was that on early versions of NT, there were cases were 4 processors were slower than 2; I actually measured this but this was a flaw in the OS design at the time rather than a database issue.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jim Large
Occasional Advisor

As a DBA and System Admin ( I have to wear both hats here! ) I can't even make up a good reason for your DBAs comments. . .When I started system planning for a recent implementation my only concern was buying the least amount of CPUs, but the fastest. This held licensing costs down for Oracle and HPUX add-ons. Even then, I bought a box that had room to grow. If money weren't a factor, I would have bought as many of the fastest CPUs I could cram into a cabinet!!

Wow. . .get him to sign off against your wishes and when the thing runs like crap, GLOAT!!

Best of Luck,
Don't forget to email him this link!!

jim
If you don't go to anyone's funeral, they won't go to yours!
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi martha and everybody

Increadible that people just say anything without proving their points!

Let us see how a Database and CPU are related!
You have a shared resource -- a CPU. You run an intensive process that needs lots of CPU. You have lots of other stuff that needs CPU. You have a very very finite amount of CPU. All of a sudden, people have to WAIT to gain access to this very finite resource -- they run SLOWER. They don't STOP, they run slower. They don't have to wait until the process finishes, but they WILL wait for their turn on the CPU.

So additional CPU means additional processing power and additional processing power means (well-tuned) applications running faster.

I cannot imagine how can a large number of CPUs can be a bottleneck.

More CPUs can only prove to be costly for Database Systems like Oracle that are licensed per CPU. But this too has a solution today.

oh dear :)

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again,

In general, let us see how we determine the requirements for a Database system.

It is difficult to get a right checklist get it right UNLESS you know the application inside out. If you are talking about installing Oracle applications -- then yes, they have sizing metrics and such that they can fairly accurately determine your needs. If you are just talking "the database", no --
there is no such checklist.

The problem is -- without knowing the entire application, we don't know how much CPU horsepower you need for example. If you do lots of tiny inserts/updates/deletes with few indexes and no triggers (so the operations themselves take a few hundreds of a CPU second) you need much less CPU's then a system where you run lots of queries that take 1 CPU second apiece -- or a
stored procedure that takes 30 CPU seconds to complete. You need to tell us how much CPU you will consume and how many people will be doing it concurrently. Then, the math is rather straightforward.

As for things like "number of disk controllers" and number of disks -- you only need 1. Additional ones may increase performance, again depending on the application itself. Is it IO intensive? Read or Write? Does it access LOTS of
data by LOTS of users (indicates you might benefit from more controllers) or is
there a small amount of data accessed by a small number of users (no benefit probably).

The rules of thumb are

o 80 users / CPU is not unheard of (RISC architecture).

o 3megs ram / user is a solid starting place (high but better safe than sorry).

o disks -- impossible to guess. You really need to see how the application behaves (benchmark) to settle on the right number.

Your mileage will vary radically from the above -- only given an application and
a benchmark of that application (and the needed response times and so no) can
one reliably determine the number of users/cpu, amount of physical ram needed and so on.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
Yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

Your DBA is crazy.

We all know that what databases really need is slow disk, that way the database spends more time doing work in the cpu because it would take too long to write it to disk !

Also try reducing the memory, that way the database will work smarter because it doesn't have to waste time storing stuff in memory.

Graham ;-)
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
Rory R Hammond
Trusted Contributor

Martha,

Sound like your DBA might be a Penny Wise Pound Poor ex accountant...

If your System is NOT 100% busy most of the time and
your Oracle processes generally take 100% of a CPU, Faster CPU's would benifit you.

If your System is 100% busy most of the time and your Oracle Processes generally do not take 100% of an individual CPU, More CPU's would benifit.
AT face value, Beforue BUYING equipment, I would suggest looking FIRST at your ORACLE sql queries. It sound like you DBA might have exceed his highest level of compentance.

Ror
There are a 100 ways to do things and 97 of them are right
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The only thing I can figure is that maybe your DBA is thinking about configuring your database so that it runs with lots of threads, so they think that having fewer, more powerful CPUs will cut down on the number of threads they can run. That is the only thing I can figure, and it is a real stretch. Normally, our DBAs want the fastest CPUs they can get. Asking them how much CPU power they want is like asking them how much cash they want. Usually they'll take all they can get.

I'll mention your DBAs statement to our DBAs and I'll let you know how long it takes them to stop laughing. :)

JP
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Geez, John, hold it down, will you? I can't think with all the racket from your laughing DBAs.

;^)

Pete

Pete