New Discussion юеВ

cpu

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

cpu

Hi,

i'm using a IBM server with two processors,, BIOS shows two processors, but in /proc/cpuinfo i find only one processor,,

how to i add other processor,,,

any help
5 REPLIES 5
Bruno Vidal
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: cpu

Hi,
You probably use a Uniprocessor kernel. You have two solution:
-or you use a well known distribution, and you should have somewhere on cd an MP kernel.
-or you are well aware of linux, and the best is to recompile yourself a kernel by adding MP option.

In order to verify this, do:
#uname -v
For my system:
# uname -v
#20 SMP Mon May 5 13:07:38 CEST 2003

-> it is an SMP kernel, so it support multiple CPU.

Cheers.
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

hi

what is the linux distro u r using.

if it is redhat, it comes with an rpm for the kernel. it should be something which contaisn the word smp(symmetric mutli(ple) processing).

or download the kernel source and recompile it from scratch enabling the smp option.
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

How do i recompile the kernel, with old configuraion

i guess make oldconfig then make menuconfig then ?

chakri
Bruno Vidal
Respected Contributor

Hi,
No, make oldconfig try to create a new .config file from one you have already (when upgrading you source tree for example).
Normally, when using distrib, you have at the same time, the .config file that has been used to create your actual kernel. So starting only by using make menuconfig should be enought (but check before that you have a .config file that is correct). But if download the latest source tree, you must then put in this tree the .config of your distrib, and then use make oldconfig.

Cheers.
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

You need to compile kernel with suport in
multi processor so compile it.
For compile flow check
/usr/src/linux-/README

Caesar