6093 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

create a symbolic link with same timestamp as target

renarios
Trusted Contributor

create a symbolic link with same timestamp as target

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue with symbolic links and timestamps. It is not possible to change the timestamp of a symlink, but is there any way to create a symbolic link with same timestamp as the target file?

I really hope you can help me out!

Cheers,

Renarios

Nothing is more successfull as failure
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: create a symbolic link with same timestamp as target

I know nothing, but I'd expect "touch" to be
the program to use. However, Google found:

http://www.nabble.com/Touch-symlink-td4093016.html

which seemed to be discouraging.

Why do you care?
renarios
Trusted Contributor

Well, I've got a photo-gallery, which uses symlinks in a "sorted" mounpoint in stead of using the original unsorted mp.
Now all photo's in the gallery are displayed with the wrong timestamp (the timestamp of the symlinks) which is rather annoying.
I create the symlinks with a script and I'm considering using a 'date' function to change the system time before creating the link, but that's not the most beautiful solution.
I have searched for a solution before, but did not find the answer. I thought that maybe the gurus at itrc might could hand an/THE option/workaround/solution.

Cheers,

Renarios
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

As the symlink is anhoter file, I don't think that you could have the exact timestamp unless you "touch" the file.

Maybe another option, like hard links, or loop mounting the file system may help. ├В┬┐Have you considered an alternate solution to your requirement?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
renarios
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I've considered other methods, but that would implicitly double the storage.

So I finally found a disadvantage for Linux huh?

Well, since changing the timstamp of a symbolic link isn't an option, I guess hard links are the only option to do the trick.

Does anyone have a little script for lazy me to covert all existing symbolic links to hard ones?