SOLVED
Go to solution
Maaz
Valued Contributor

creating cd/dvd ?

i have abc.iso file on /data
# ls /data
abc.iso

plz let me the command line, utility and syntax so that i can create the image on cd/dvd r/rw ?

should the following syntax works/right ?
# dd if=/data/abc.iso of=/dev/cdrom

and also any GUI tool for that ?

Thanks n regards
Maaz
12 REPLIES 12
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Re: creating cd/dvd ?

In command line you have the "cdrecord" - I never used it.

As for GUI - there's "xcdroast" -pretty good.

Hope it helps.
Danny Petterson - DK
Trusted Contributor

Yo!

For even more details:

http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html

Yours
Danny
Van den Broeck Tijl
Valued Contributor

in command line, 2 words:

wodim abc.iso

Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Hello Maaz

Linux has a nice set of command line tools for burning CDs and DVDs. Most popular are the following: cdrecord, dvdrecord, mkisofs, growisofs and cdrdao.
I could recommend to burn CD/DVD using cdrecord tool:

1) find out the value of the dev option using the command:
# cdrecord --scanbus

2) burn the image:
# cdrecord -v speed=4 -data -eject dev=[the value you got in the previous step] -dao -mode1[2] /path/to/file.iso

about GUI: my choise is K3B (http://www.k3b.org/) which is included in almost all Linux clones and has very clean and simple interface.

Enjoy.

Maaz
Valued Contributor

Thanks All for help ;)
Every suggestion is so nice

one thing remains i.e
say I have a fc6 dvd as /dev/cdrom, and I want to creata an iso file file of the fc6 dvd, then should the following command will work, i.e I want to create a bootable OS dvd .. so should the following will work ?

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/fedoraCore6.iso
then I insert a blank dvd, and then
dd if=/tmp/fedoraCore6.iso of=/dev/cdrom

i.e above commands will create the bootable OS dvd ?

Regards
Maaz

Maaz
Valued Contributor

# cdrecord -v speed=4 -data -eject dev=[the value you got in the previous step] -dao -mode1[2] /path/to/file.iso

0, ok .. if the file.iso is a OS image file, then will the above commmand creates the OS bootable cd/dvd ?
1, I have read somewhere that -dao is used for audio cd/dvd .. is it true?, so should I use -dao option, when creating OS cd/dvd, or simply data cd/dvd ?

2, if i used the above command to create a bootable OS cd, then should I use -mode2 ? i,e is it possible/recommended to create a multisession DVD/CD of OS ?

Regards
Maaz
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Maaz,

I will admit right off that the command line questions are a bit above and beyond my skill level. Burning that way has not been a skill set I have attempted to learn as of yet.

The only reason I choose to jump in here is to give you another option for a GUI-based option that has not been mentioned as of yet.

I have used K3b almost exclusively for a GUI for accomplishing what you want. The interface is clean and easy to understand, it is capable of creating most of the projects that people will want, and it runs happily on both KDE and Gnome.

While I have also heard good things about other GUI front ends for burning CDs and DVDs, I have found this one to be my favorite.
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hi John, thanks for reply/help

>The only reason I choose to jump in here is to give you another option for a > GUI-based option that has not been mentioned as of yet.

Sergejs Svitnevs, already mentioned/suggest me to use k3b, see his post, in this thread

Thanks n Regards
Maaz
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

command line tools are cdrecord and dvdrecord. You should really read the man pages for both. For graphical I have to agree with using k3b. It's the best graphical cd/dvd tool I have used besides nerolinux.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"