4540 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cups under mozilla

Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

cups under mozilla

Guys,
I have a RH9 distro. I configured Cups1.1 for a HP Jetdirect printer. I dont know the way to include that in Mozilla. Mozilla doesnt seem to understand the printer configured under cups1.1. Anyone knows the solution?

cheers
Umapathy

Arise Awake and Stop NOT till the goal is Reached!
5 REPLIES 5
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

From memory (haven't used Cups in a while), Cups should dump out an /etc/printcap for use with 'other' programs.

Does that have the listing for your printer in it?

You've tried restarting the Cups daemon?
One long-haired git at your service...
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Stuart,
I did restart cups. Actually I rebooted my machine due a kernel upgrade after that. So, that is not the problem.

/etc/printcap is modified by cupsd. /etc/cups/printers.conf did have my printer configured.

I think I have to change some mozilla settings to gather the printer info from cups.

When I select print from mozilla and subsequently the properties, the info displayed is
lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

Anything needs to be changed here?

cheers
Umapathy

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

That line is saying that if there is a printer defined in that environment variable (MOZ_PRINTER_NAME), pass '-P' to the 'lpr' command.

Otherwise it should just use the default printer. Do you have a default printer set up?

Can you do the simple test:

date | lpr

and have it come out?

If not, try setting MOZ_PRINTER_NAME up in your .profile or something to be the device name of your printer.
Umapathy S
Honored Contributor

Stuart,
I changed the whole with qtcups which indeed opened the printer dialog box. I get cannot open temporary file. I think I need to specify a tmp dir to write the files.

I tried to make these changes permanent but insted corrupted the /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3.1/defaults/prefs/unix.js file. Now, I dont get any standard dialog boxes of mozilla for the whole print section of the File Menu.

cheers
Umapathy

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

*cringe* ugh :( very un-nice :(