New Discussion юеВ

Re: decompile .exe under linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
'chris'
Super Advisor

decompile .exe under linux

hi

is it possible to decompile .exe under linux ?
can someone recommend a good tool or program ?

kind regards
chris
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try boomerang - http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/

regards,
ivan
'chris'
Super Advisor

I have debian etch stable installed and I hope
this is the correct decompiler:

# apt-cache search boomerang
worker - highly configurable two-paned file manager for X
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Nope - that package is named "worker". The apt-cache search hits it because the package's homepage URL happens to be http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker.

The "worker" package is a file manager, so it's not at all related to decompiling of programs.

Decompiling a program is a difficult thing to do. You're not likely to get the exact original source code back. If the debug information is removed from the executable, any function and variable names are lost: the decompiler will replace them with generic identifiers.

Someone might be able to give you a better answer if you told more about your problem. What kind of program is it and what's the problem you're trying to solve by decompiling?

MK
MK
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Decompiling a commercial program like Citrix MetaFrame is very likely going to violate the conditions of your MetaFrame license. I'm not a lawyer, but I would advise you not to do that.

If you haven't contacted Citrix support yet, please do so. They might be able to tell you an alternate way to do what you need. Or if it's not possible, you'll make them aware of your need: you might even put in an "enhancement request" to have this feature added to the next version of the software.

MK
MK