1753842 Members
8094 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: display LAN console issue

IT Response
Esteemed Contributor

display LAN console issue

I have a strange console issue on many servers. Specifically, when the server boots and I watch the console messages, this servers must print 200 periods between the each boot script identifier and the [ ok ] message. This issue happens with all startups scripts It's an LAN console, the servers has hpux 11.31, i saw the rc.utils and it is ok

let ROWS="${rows##*(0)}"
let COLS="${cols##*(0)}"
export ROWS COLS
the emulation in LAN console is a vt100
Is there a patch to correct that or what can i do
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>this servers must print 200 periods between the each boot script identifier and the [ ok ] message.

What's wrong with that? Is your screen that wide? If not, you need to set COLUMNS & LINES correctly.

If you are complaining about it is slow, which rc scripts have the problem?
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I must concur with Dennis' observation here. I am not sure what type of terminal emulation you are using to view the console, but if it is PuTTY, I'd strongly suggest you chenging the default emulation of outty from xterm to vtXXX, or do the opposite and change your LAN console settings to xterm. If you are using a vt100 emulator, my guess is, its emulation capabilities are not that bright.

Use the ttytype program to identify the terminal emulator:

ttytype -s

Normally, you would see something like:

TERM='70092'; export TERM;
LINES=48; export LINES;
COLUMNS=132; export COLUMNS;
ERASE='^H'; export ERASE;

TERM= might be vt100 but it should respond. If COLUMNS is not displayed, the funky emulator needs to be replaced or at least reconfigured. Literally hundreds of terminals can be identified with ttytype -- if your can't, get another one. Note also that if you are running through a serial port concentrator or some other electronic terminal distributor, these can be quite painful to use unless they truly play dumb and stay out of the way.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin