New Discussion юеВ

Re: dl 360 SUSE 9 installation problems

Mike_649

dl 360 SUSE 9 installation problems

Hi All,

trying to install suse 9 on a dl360 g3
smart array 5i 2x 72gig raid 1.

Ftp install runs fine, but on the first reboot after the package installation
the systems hangs on partition check of the first partition. I have tried multiple re-installs with the same issue. I have also deleted and recreated the array. Hp suggested I use the system erase util.

I think all the Raid drivers are loading properly, it it sees the card and uses the cciss driver.

I have tried all different partitioning schemes.

Im fairly new to linux, does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried to install
RH 9 but once the cd boots into the first text based screen of the installer, the system says that there is no cd available (even tho it booted from it???)

Help.
thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Mike,

check Chris Price's answer(s) in http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=53238

It helped me installing Red Hat 9. Nevertheless I switched to RH AS 2.1 because of support issues.

JP.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

I don't suppose I could get you to transcripe the last half-dozen lines of the screen when it hangs upon boot?

The quick thought that comes to mind is that the appropraite IO controller drivers aren't getting inserted at boot time. The error messages will confirm or reject this theory however.
One long-haired git at your service...
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Mike,

I found something on boot parameters at startup for Suse 8.1, apm=off and acpi=off:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=238687

HtH

JP.
Mike_649

Thanks for the help, Im sorry I didnt find this thread on my own.

I know that these are both some type of power management that usually have to do with laptops.

I have not looked this up yet and I see how to change these bootup params from the bootloader, but what file do I need to edit to permanently add these settings to my default boot. I am using Grub, is this done in the Grub config file?

Thanks again for the help.
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Mike,I often cannot find today what I found yesterday without any problem.You need to edit (after testing manual bootup) /boot/grub/menu.lst. At least, on my PC. JP.