dmesg errors

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Smith
Advisor

dmesg errors

Im getting the following errors in dmesg;

SCSI: Unexpected Disconnect -- lbolt: 72652436, dev: cb06f002, io_id: 60000f0

Theres quite a few of them. How can I trace the problem ?
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: dmesg errors

These sort of SCSI disconnect errors are normally ghosts. You see lots of them but theyre not the cause of the problem. I'll bet the device (dev:) is different amongst all these errors in dmesg ?

The way to track down properly which device is causing your problem is to use the Online Diagnostics. Run xstm, go to TOOLS -> UTILITY -> LOGTOOL and view the raw log. (You may need to save it to a file if the log is too big and then vi this file and start from the bottom and work backwords) . Start at the bottom as the most recent errors are at the bottom. You should see a pattern of the same device path which is logging errors and this will identify the troublesome device.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Re: dmesg errors

Jim,

Do you have a support contract? The HP Response Center is very adept at troubleshooting this kind of stuff.

Take a look at /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log and /var/adm/syslog/OLDsyslog.log to see if you can establish whether the messages all appear to point to the same device or bus.

What kind of system is this?

What kind of SCSI and FC interfaces are in the system?

What kind of devices populate these busses?

If all of these errors point to a device, it is most likely (but not necessarily) the culprit.

If they all point to one SCSI bus, the problem could be any device or the host interface on that bus.

If these errors point to a FC bus, you might have a bad FC transceiver. There were service notes dealing with FC transceiver problems, but these have long-since expired.

If you provide more detail, I'll help if I can.

Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28