New Discussion юеВ

doing backups on db2 database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

doing backups on db2 database

Got DP5.0 on HPUX 11.00 cell manager.

Getting a new system to support AIX with db2.

I know very little about db2 database. Is there a special procedure to doing backups?

Example, for Oracle I put the tables into backup mode.

What special procedures is/are required for db2?

Many thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Francis_12
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: doing backups on db2 database

Hello,

I'm sorry but only DP5.1 supports DB/2 online backup integration and not DP5.0.

Check :
http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/

select 'storage data protector', '5.0', 'hp-ux integration' or 'unix integration' guides, DB/2 is not listed...

select 'storage data protector', '5.1', 'hp-ux integration' or 'unix integration' guides, DB/2 is listed...

Check also to get more details on which DB/2 backup types are possible with DP5.1 :
http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=OV-EN013111

You may nevertheless perform an offline db/2 backup if needed (outside db/2 but only if db/2 is stopped).

Hope this helps,
Bye.

Francis DERDEYN - HP-UX ASCE.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

With oracle, I interact directly with the database to issue the alter commands to put the tables in backup mode. At this point I do the oracle backup as a regular filesystem backup - I do not use RMAN or the oracle integration piece. At the end of the backup I alter the database and take the tables out of backup mode.

Can I do the same with DB2?
Francis_12
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

Sorry but since this question is not Omniback/DataProtector related, you should maybe raise this question in an IBM DB/2 forum.

If you succeed setting DB/2 in backup mode (as Oracle does), for sure you will be able to backup the database as a regular filesystem.

Hope this helps, Bye.

Francis DERDEYN - HP-UX ASCE.
Hari Kumar
Trusted Contributor

I dont how to integrate with Omni, but the procedure for DB2 Backup is
OFFLINE :::::
set DB2INSTANCE=
db2start
db2 backup db

The timestamp for this image is 20021006213640, and the image is located in D:\.0\\NODE0000\CATN0000\20021006. DB2 creates this subdirectory tree off of the directory from which the BACKUP DATABASE command is issued. The subdirectory names represent the following:

\\\\

ONLINE ::::::::
For this the database must be in Archive log mode,The Parameters LOGRETAIN must be YES, and also USEREXIT must be set.
db2 "backup database DBNAME ONLINE to dir/dev [ {,dir/dev} ... ]"

(Finde the simple ONLINE keyword added to that ).

For a simple solution we can create a TEMPLATE in DP for copying.
But A Well documented and proffessional guidence is required while configuring for Online Backup.
U can get more information from
redbooks.ibm or the Online answer books of DB2.
Information is Wealth ; Knowledge is Power