4405 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

doubt about swapinfo.

kumasudh
Advisor

doubt about swapinfo.

Hello Gurus,

I have a question regarding the swapinfo. I have the following output from my HPUX system.

Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 2048 0 2048 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve - 2021 -2021
memory 2858 2051 807 72%
total 4906 4072 834 83% - 0 -

If you see the output, there was no page-in/page-out activity (dev/PCT used column is 0%), But still some of my process are failing to start. Going by the ouput, we could see that the total VM is still available. Could you please confirm this swapinfo output is not indicating any abnormal situation ?

Best Regards
Sudhir
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: question on swapinfo.

>Going by the output, we could see that the total VM is still available.

You only have 834 Mb available. Almost all of your device swap is reserved, only 27 Mb free.

If you want to start more processes, you need more swap or RAM.

kumasudh
Advisor

Re: doubt about swapinfo.

Hi Denis,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
>>You only have 834 Mb available. Almost all of your device swap is reserved, only 27 Mb free.

My question is how the psuedo swap space usage is increasing while i dont see any swapping happening on this machine. What is the min. VM (swap space + psuedo space) requirement for a process to get started ?

Best Regards
Sudhir
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: doubt about swapinfo.

hi,

check this thread from ITRC :

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1281526

i think good explanation about the pseudo-swap.

mikap
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: question on swapinfo.

>My question is how the pseudo swap space usage is increasing while I don't see any swapping happening on this machine.

The simple way to analyze it is to not look at anything other than the total line.

>What is the min VM (swap space + pseudo space) requirement for a process to get started?

Again, don't look at details. The minimum swap is whatever the process requested. That's composed of the size of initial data, the size of the stack, the size of any mmap private regions, any increase in heap area. New shared memory segments.