Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dtfile - UNKNOWN icon

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Wight
Occasional Contributor

dtfile - UNKNOWN icon

Hi,

I am using HP-UX 11.
When I run dtfile from within a CDE session
an icon is displayed for each file and folder
but every icon is the 'UNKNOWN' icon.
If I double click on an icon it says:

There are no actions defined for UNKNOWN.

If I try to create a new file from within dtfile, say dave.txt, the selected icon is also
the UNKNOWN icon.

Do you know what could be causing this please.

Regards

Dave
2 REPLIES
rainer doelker
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: dtfile - UNKNOWN icon

Hello David,

there are several item I have on this which you may check:

Does this affect all users? And if not, you may compare the output of "dttypes" of a non-operationa and a operational user.

Usually the icons are determined by typedefinitions in /usr/dt/appconfig/types// . There are some files.

If it affects only the one user (or even all incl. root) you may want to look into their $HOME/.dt directory and look for startlog and errorlog. I suspect if dtappgather or dtsearchpath have reported any error. A good job - especially for permission things would do "dr_dt" as well.

Is the system newly installed? Do you have CDE-Runtime patches? (swlist -l product |grep -i cde).

A really important question is "since when" does this problem appear. What has changed since it worked the last time without that behaviour ??

Hope this helps a little.
rainer
David Wight
Occasional Contributor

Re: dtfile - UNKNOWN icon

Rainer,

Thank you.
The problem applied to all users. I changed the
LANG variable and now everything is fine.

Regards

Dave