1752587 Members
4116 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dv6000z compatibility

mark pinto

dv6000z compatibility

Does anyone know if the new Pavillion dv6000z laptop is linux compatible? I havent been able to find anything by googling and I need to know if I can purchase this laptop or not. I'm especially concerned about ATI chipsets, but I cant even find which chipset the motherboard uses. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Re: dv6000z compatibility

Grab a copy of an Ubuntu or Knoppix live CD and boot off of it (it won't hurt anything on the hard drive unless you tell it to). That will give you a good measure of what will work and what won't.
mark pinto

Alan,
How am I supposed to do that? I don't own the laptop. I want to buy it but I'm not going to buy it if I wont be able to use Linux on it.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Does somebody have a demo model you can pop a cd into for a few minutes?

At the moment, Hp does not support *nix on this box (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3224052&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=enтМй=en&cc=us). Last I heard, HP wasn't even going to try to certify this hardware. That doesn't mean it won't work, though.

This site indicates that somebody has had some success with the 4000 and 8000 series. http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hp.html

mark pinto

Alan, no store will give me a demo to play with for a while. That's just an insane idea. And yes, I know that HP doesnt certify Linux compatibility, which is why I'm asking folks in this forum to see if they've had experience with it instead of calling technical support. Sigh. The 4000 and 8000 are completly different machines than the 6000, which probably means that the chipset controller on the motherboard is also a different model or even brand. Absolutely not helpful, man.
eric hanuise

" Alan, no store will give me a demo to play with for a while"
erm... change shop.
Honestly, I'm not kidding. A live CD doesn't affect anything on the machine you use it on, so if your shop doesn't want to let you try your liveCD on a demo machine, they don't want your money either.

Sorry for not being helpful either ;)