Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emacs

SOLVED
Go to solution

emacs

Good morning. I am trying to do something simple in emacs. I have never used it before. I am trying to do a global substitute in a file. I need to substitute the word lvmcong for lvmconf inthe entire file which is very large. Could someone please give me a command that does inside of emacs.
3 REPLIES
Radim Jarosek
Regular Advisor
Solution

Re: emacs

Hi,

why do you want to use emacs ? I think there are many ways how to do it the easiest way.

For instance :

sed s/lvmcong/lvmconf/g name_file

vi name_file

ex: s/lvmcong/lvmconf/g

Unfortunately, I've never used Emacs, but I suppose there is very similiar command as I described you above.

HTH

Radim

Thankyou that worked. I was just trying ti figure emacs. I do have another question.
I am trying to use the find command to track down a word in a header file that is somewhwre in /usr/include. The string i am looking for is ptrdiff_t inside of one of the files. What find command would i use to list this file?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The simplest is to use find as in:

$ find /usr/include -type f -exec grep -l ptrdiff_t {} \;
/usr/include/stddef.h

So the typedef is located in the stddef.h file. Using -l limits the output of grep to just the filename(s) that match.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin