Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enable ssh logging

R.O.
Esteemed Contributor

enable ssh logging

Hi,

I try to enable ssh logging to check the connections in /var/log/messages. Anybody could help me?

Regards,

R.O.
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you"
3 REPLIES
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Re: enable ssh logging

I think you mean sshd logging. In which case you want to find your "sshd_config" file. On slackware this is in /etc/ssh. Surprisingly, it's in the same place on Red Hat too. In here, you'll find a SyslogFacility and a LogLevel entry. Uncomment these lines and restart sshd.

Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
R.O.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In sshd_config there was enable the logging, but you put me on the path to solve this. I have added the line "*.=info /var/log/messages" in /etc/syslog.conf and now it´s working properly. Thank you very much.

R
"When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you"
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi R.O.,

So maybe could you request MArk to post something, and mark it with a bunny for the question to be closed...

J
You can lean only on what resists you...